VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Downloaded A Copy Of Dic Form

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The DIC form is also a form for widows pension. If a spouse is only claiming DIC does she have to provide all that income and asset information? I see request for information about the claimants former spouses asking for dates of marriage, divorce, death etc. I guess that is all necessary. I am going to try and fill this thing out for my wife in advance. I did not think DIC had anything to do with the income of the surviving spouse? The form I downloaded is 12 pages long and confusing. My wife would need help from someone with expert knowledge. She would take one look at it on her own and just give up. That is bad because she has to apply for my civil service pension as well. What do you do with people that just don't want to face reality?

John

• HadIt.com Elder

You can drop $10,000 just for average funeral if you let the undertakers sell you all that guilt and bronze coffin etc. I say skip the ceremony, and all the rest of it. Just have the body put on ice and then arrange the burial and anybody wants to come they can come. Just the funeral viewing, and ceremony and embalming etc. can cost 7000 bucks. I want a pine box and a burial at National graveyard. Let my wife keep the money. Like I say in Florida you go into a metal container anyway. You don't even have to have a coffin. You can shop around and buy a coffin online. Store in the garage and jump out on Halloween to scare kids. People are just shells after the embalming is done full of chemicals and half your organs removed. The business of death is big business.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

This is one of my favorite topics, because I worked for an ambulance service, some yrs back, that was owned by a funeral home and I learned a great deal about the funeral industry, then.

In most states, a funeral director is required to move the body. Embalming is not required, unless the body is being viewed or stored for more than 24 or 48 hours. The funeral business has helped create laws that almost guarantee the need for funeral services. I doubt you can get an autopsy, for free. Most cemeteries require a concrete vault, for the casket to be buried in. If cremated, you can bury the ashes almost anyway you want. I know someone who took some PVC pipe and used it to bury the relative - no need for a special urn that can run hundreds!

Actually, in some states, they allow you to rent a casket, for the wake, and then move you to a $450 cardboard box, for cremation. I don't recommend renting a suit, as the rent still has to be paid if they are buried in it. LOL

Depending on the size and ethics of the crematorium, the family could get anyone's ashes. Just sayin"

pr

Here in NY autopsies are free if you are an Organ Donor.

They might be free for all other reasons too....

The call comes within hours from the Rochester Eye Bank (unless that all has changed)

to confirm an organ harvest.

I had no idea at the time,that this autopsy on my husband would be criticsl to my claim.

The first C & P they did posthumously contains a statement that he possibly died of an overdose of cocaine!

I called the C & P doctor right away raising Hell.

The autopsy included a full toxicology report. He only had VA meds in his system ( one of them had contributed to his death...wrong med for wrong diagnosis and the other med was too low of a dose to be affective)

In my testimony to H VAC during Shreddergate I sent them copies of 53 tracking slips from USPS of all the evidence Buffalo VARO had failed to consider. That included proof I had sent them 12 copies of the autopsy.

The RO also failed to send the autopsy to VA Central and the OGC...

and they initially denied my FTCA case, but changed completely when they got a copy and settled with me for wrongful death.

I dont know if autopsies are paid for...they are usually done by a county Medical Examiner ,who I think is salaried by the county.

I cant stress this enough. An autopsy can be critical to anything your survivors might get via DIC, CHAMPVA, Chapter 35 etc etc etc.....depending on their DIC claim after you die.

• HadIt.com Elder

What is the advantage to proving a vet died of SC causes as opposed to a vet who has ten years as 100% SC? I have 13 years TDIU P&T. I still think an autopsy would be useful because I am pretty sure I will die from SC cause. How would this benefit my widow?

• HadIt.com Elder

John999

Your very unselfish man I commend you my brother, I can see why you don't want an expensive funeral, Funerals can be very expensive today and the Funeral Directors just sees how much $$ there going to put in there pocket..like someone mention they throw guilt to the widow when she is at her most difficult time in her life. It is very wise that you prepare your spouse now its something that is going to happen to everyone of us.

This next comment don't have anything to do with the VA just thought it was an interesting story of love.

Talking about pine box and be buried the most economical way...

I know a friend of a friend that live in Oklahoma they are Choctaw indian..

There was this older couple his spouse passed away at age 88...they had there own place about 7 miles from town when she died at the hospital the funeral directors came transported her body to the funeral home......her hubby got word of it and he went to the funeral home and told them he did not want them to do anything to her no embaling no casket no nothing, he ask them if he could buy a casket just there cheapest one he bought the casket they put her body in it and he had them to take her to their home &they did...they set the casket up in the living room and family/friends came by to pay last respects, the hubby dug a 7 ft hole in the gound out in the front of there home in the yard...well the funeral directors told him he could not do that its aginst the law ask him to let them take her body back to the funeral home so they could get her ready for burial....he run the funeral directors off his property and the sheriff came out he told the sheriff his wife did not won't to have expensive funeral for him to just dig a hole in the ground out in the front yard place her body in a casket and bury her...the sheriff agree with him and let him do as his wife wished... he gabe I think 200.00 for the casket...he buried his wife like she ask him to do....now to me that's unconditional love at its best.

my brother lives in the same town and he goes by their home and sees the grave..

• HadIt.com Elder

after 10 Years SC and the vet dies from his disability I don't think there any question or anything to prove...Just my opinion, this is something you can find out now and any other questions in your mind that you want to be answered before your death to ease your mind and have more pece of mind when your time does come!

It would benefit your widow because she don't have to actually go through all of this someone else can fill out any forms that need be....if you have pre-prepared most all there is to do before your death That is very beneficial to your widow.

Edited by britton