VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic 2015 Increase Notice From Va

georgiapapa

Question

I keep checking my mother's mail looking for her notice from the VA showing her new basic monthly rate for 2015. Have any of you DIC recipients on Hadit received your notification letters?

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I haven't gotten any DIC letter yet and the VA has not posted the new 2015 rates yet.

At Mil.com this was an estimate:

"I’ve had more than one reader ask where they can find the 2015 Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) rates posted. Well, they’re not up yet. I can’t figure why…but they’re not. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website has a page, but it still lists the 2014 rates.

Thankfully, the math is not challenging. The Cost of Living Adjustment was set at 1.7%, so we can take the 2014 rates and multiply them by 1.017 to get the 2015 rates. However, I am NOT a VA expert, so please remember that.

Also keep in mind that the rates actually change on the 1st of December, but are reflected in the “January” payment, which is for December, and is paid on 31 December because 1 January is a holiday.

"Veteran’s Death Was On or After 1 January 1993

Projected 2015 Basic Monthly Rate = $1,254.19

Read more: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2014/12/22/2015-dic-rate-for-survivors/#ixzz3NCgPN4FK

The Paycheck Chronicles"

I did get my new CHAMPVA card last week.

Thank you Berta.

Got my Yearly VA SC Letter early Dec. When have you usually received the DIC Letters in the past?

Semper Fi

Gastone

Sometimes I get mine in December and sometimes in January. I think my mother usually gets her DIC letter in late December or early January.

• HadIt.com Elder

DIC should be twice as much just be half as much as a 100% vet was getting in benefits. If I thought that the only money my wife would have if I die before her would be DIC, SSA Survivor Benefit and half my crummy civil service pension I would be feeling rather low right now. Did I work all those years and suffer these injuries and illness so my wife could live in poverty? No, but no thanks to Uncle Sammy. What 100% vets get and what DIC spouses get is just an insult to their suffering and service. My wife could not even buy the house we live in today on DIC and my other survivor benefits. I could not buy the house I live in on 100% if that was all I had to spend. What is wrong with this picture? When I bought my house in 1987 I could afford it on $30,000 a year as a junior mailman. Since the not only has the actual prices of housing gone up but the sinsurance has exploded in cost while wages and compensation has lagged so far behind it is a shame. A car today costs $30,000 and my insurance costs ten times what I used to pay for medical, liability and the rest.

John

Well John I have to agree with you 100%. I retired civil service and the Govnt. never put a dime in my SS, but, yet they are taking over 1/2 of it. It called the WINDFALL TAX. To me it just one way to rob a vet one more time. But even the SSA has turned me down for disability this picture just isn't right. JMHO