VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver Program Not Avail To All

Rate this topic

The Wasted Wampum Program(WWP), as you can see, does much more than squander dollars donated for Veterans on overly generous salaries for execs. It also starts "class wars" by favoring Iraq/Afghanastan Vets over Vietnam era Vets. These "class wars" divide Veterans groups so that VA can conquer them, because if all 28 million or so Veterans voted together, then VA would have to clean up its act and give real accountability. These class wars have been going on for a long time, and, finally, the VFW/DAV are "recoginizing" Vietnam Vets. (It was all about the money, when the VSO's realized that there are many, many more Vietnmam Vets alive now than WW2, and they could not afford to "dis" the Vietnam Vets)

The VSO's used to "hate" Vn Vets because it wasn't a "declared" war like WW2. Its obviously Veterans fault for not getting the Vietnam misunderstanding to be declared as a war. Never mind that some 58,220 Vets lost their lives in Vietnam War, as opposed to around 6106 deaths in Iraq, with another 1850 or so in Afghanastan. Once, while I was traveling in the airport in uniform, people yelled "Booo" at me for serving my country in Vietnam Era.

On the other hand, when my son was in uniform while traveling to/from Iraq in the airports, he got many handshakes and "thank you for your service". I was shocked.

If any Vets deserve the wampum for caregivers it would be the Vietnam Era's. Has no one heard of "respect your elders"? I wont be sending any of my wampum to the Wasted Wampum Project..ever.

Edited by broncovet

My wife gets paid a small stipend each month for bladder care for me. I am with the SCI clinic here in Tampa and they were able to get a program approved to pay for a caregiver program. They pay each month a small amount to caregivers to provide bowel and bladder care. The caregiver just needs to be trained in providing this care.

In my case my wife was trained to change my suprapubic catheter every 4-6 weeks. She also has to empty the catheter bag every day and change the bag once a week and what ever else is needed to keep everything sanitary. Like I said it is a small amount, but at least it is something.

Just needed to add I am not a war vet, I was in from 79 to 85.

Edited by jefmil50

yoopergirl,

You are right. Pre 9/11 vets are sol. In my opinion, this is a form of discrimination and should be considered illegal. I guess it is not illegal because we are not being treated differently because of race, gender, religion or national origin. Whether illegal or not, it stinks to high hell. JMO

Take care GP

I would think it would be an age discrimination issue?

Kate,

I think you are right. It should be an age discrimination issue. I am amazed that veterans service organizations just sat by and watched this happen when the Caregiver Program was first proposed. I know there are veterans on this website who know and talk to some of the VA disability attorneys. Perhaps they might ask the attorney(s) if they might consider filing an age discrimination lawsuit against the VA on behalf of pre 9/11 disabled veterans.

GP

Tomorrow Senator Patty Murray is introducing a Pre 9-11 Caregiver program.

It was on the C span hearing today with Sec McDonald.

Caregivers do so much, and as Sen Murray said, give up lose of wages not only to care for their spouse but also to be eligible foe the program.

Good for Senator Murray. I can't wait to see who supports her effort and who opposes her effort.

GP