VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dic Overview

Berta

Question

The DIC regulations sometimes get lost in the shuffle:

http://benefits.va.gov/compensation/types-dependency_and_indemnity.asp

"Eligibility (Surviving Spouse)

To qualify for DIC, a surviving spouse must meet the requirements below.

The surviving spouse was:

Married to a Servicemember who died on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, OR
Validly married the Veteran before January 1, 1957, OR
Married the Veteran within 15 years of discharge from the period of military service in which the disease or injury that caused the Veteran's death began or was aggravated, OR
Was married to the Veteran for at least one year, OR
Had a child with the Veteran, AND
Cohabited with the Veteran continuously until the Veteran's death or, if separated, was not at fault for the separation, AND
Is not currently remarried

Note: A surviving spouse who remarries on or after December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, is entitled to continue to receive DIC.
Eligibility (Surviving Child)

Not included on the surviving spouse's DIC, AND
Unmarried, AND
Under age 18, or between the ages of 18 and 23 and attending school."

"Evidence Required

Listed below are the evidence requirements for this benefit:

The Servicemember died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, OR
The Veteran died from an injury or disease deemed to be related to military service, OR
The Veteran died from a non service-related injury or disease, but was receiving, OR was entitled to receive, VA Compensation for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling
For at least 10 years immediately before death, OR
Since the Veteran's release from active duty and for at least five years immediately preceding death, OR
For at least one year before death if the Veteran was a former prisoner of war who died after September 30, 1999
http://benefits.va.gov/compensation/types-dependency_and_indemnity.asp

They forgot to mention Section 1151, 38 USC DIC on this VA web page.

Here it is:

http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=80#c419

"4. Section 1151 Benefits - Injured by VA Care or Medical Treatment
4.1. Section 1151 Benefits

Pursuant to 38 U.S.C. section 1151, claimants who were injured by VA care or medical treatment may be entitled to compensation. Jackson v. Nicholson, 433 F.3d 822, 824 (Fed. Cir. 2005). Section 1151 provides that compensation shall be awarded for an additional disability or death "in the same manner as if such additional disability or death were service-connected." The additional disability or death is qualifying if:

not the result of the veteran's willful misconduct and:
the disability or death was caused by hospital care, medical or surgical treatment, or examination furnished the veteran under any law administered by the Secretary . . . and
the proximate cause of the disability or death was –

- carelessness, negligence, lack of proper skill, error in judgment, or similar instance of fault on the part of the Department in furnishing the hospital care, medical or surgical treatment, or examination; or

- an event not reasonably foreseeable or

- the provision of training and rehabilitation services or participation in a compensated work therapy program.

38 U.S.C. § 1151(a). To be entitled to VA benefits, any additional disability must not be merely coincidental with VA medical treatment, but must stem from some fault in the care that was provided, including "carelessness, negligence, lack of proper skill, error in judgment, or some other similar instance of fault." 38 U.S.C. § 1151(a); 38 C.F.R. § 3.361(d)(1); Loving v. Nicholson, 19 Vet. App. 96, 100 (2005). Section 1151 does compensate for issues arising from care provided on a fee basis or by non-VA physicians working at VA facilities. 38 C.F.R. § 3.361(f).

To establish that the proximate cause of a disability was the result of carelessness, negligence, lack of proper skill, error in judgment, or similar instance of fault on the part of VA, the claimant must show either (1) VA failed to exercise the degree of care that would be expected of a reasonable health care provider or (2) VA furnished the care, treatment, or examination without the veteran's informed consent. 38 C.F.R. § 3.361(d)(1). Alternatively, to establish that the proximate cause of a disability was an event that was not reasonably foreseeable, the evidence must demonstrate that a reasonable health care provider could not have foreseen the disability. The event does not have to be "completely unforeseeable or unimaginable" but it must "be one that a reasonable health care provider would not have considered to be an ordinary risk of the treatment provided." 38 C.F.R. § 3.361(d)(1).

"To determine whether a veteran has an additional disability, VA compares the veteran's condition immediately before the beginning of the . . . medical or surgical treatment . . . upon which the claim is based to the veterans condition after such . . . treatment." 38 C.F.R. § 3.361(b). An additional disability is actually caused by VA care, treatment, or examination when the VA care, treatment or examination "resulted" in the additional disability. 38 C.F.R. § 3.361©(1). If an additional disability is caused by a veteran's failure to properly follow medical instructions, such a disability will not be considered to be caused by VA hospital care or medical treatment. 38 C.F.R. § 3.361©(3).

A Board determination regarding entitlement to compensation under section 1151 is a factual finding that this Court reviews under the "clearly erroneous" standard of review. 38 U.S.C. § 7261(a)(4); Look v. Derwinski, 2 Vet. App. 157, 161-62 (1992). "

http://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=80#c419

This type of claim almost ALWAYS needs an IMO.

I found another tidbit about the Gratuitous S-DVI Benefits here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M29_1.asp

"[NOTE: If the veteran's surviving spouse fails to file claim within the 2-year statutory period, although fully entitled to the benefits during, the entire period, any child of the veteran may file a claim within any time up to 1 year after attaining majority.]"

• HadIt.com Elder

just thought I'd mention this!

Source: VA Watchdog!

''A veteran must hold a 100% Permanent & Total rating for 10 years, uninterrupted for his/her family to be eligible to apply for DIC benefits should the veteran die of anything other than a service connected condition''.

So I read this to be if the veteran has been 100% Scheduler P&T or has a combined rating less than 100% but meets the criteria for TDIU and is awarded TDIU P&T & held that rating for 10 years uninterrupted then his/her spouse is eligible For DIC benefits *( no matter what he/her died from SC or Non SC)

..................Buck!

Edited by Buck52

Buck,

You are right. If you have been 100% P & T for 10 years, your wife can collect DIC regardless of the cause of your death. You could get run over by a truck and she would still get DIC.

What are you doing up so late? Don't you know old vets like us go to bed at 8:00 pm every night so we can get up early and milk the cows, slop the hogs and feed the chickens.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

GP

I have had my share of milking the cows & slopping the Hogs feed the chickens believe me & going out in sub-frizzing weather getting wood for a wood stove when I was young and we lived in the backwoods of Oklahoma Lol ,matter fact I don't think my Grandpa ever seen a A/C Heat Central home ! I feel for the ones that lived back then.

I seem to do my best Reading late night until I get so sleepy I fall off cliff's *tinnitus keeps awake* So Reading & Researching kinda gets my mind off that dreaded disease helps me fall to sleep, I usually get up around 6:00 am every morning unless I Read Late

However I agree with ya bud!

....................Buck!

just thought I'd mention this!

Source: VA Watchdog!

''A veteran must hold a 100% Permanent & Total rating for 10 years, uninterrupted for his/her family to be eligible to apply for DIC benefits should the veteran die of anything other than a service connected condition''.

So I read this to be if the veteran has been 100% Scheduler P&T or has a combined rating less than 100% but meets the criteria for TDIU and is awarded TDIU P&T & held that rating for 10 years uninterrupted then his/her spouse is eligible For DIC benefits *( no matter what he/her died from SC or Non SC)

..................Buck!

For the younger vets, it also includes:

"

Edited by free_spirit_etc

GP

I have had my share of milking the cows & slopping the Hogs feed the chickens believe me & going out in sub-frizzing weather getting wood for a wood stove when I was young and we lived in the backwoods of Oklahoma Lol ,matter fact I don't think my Grandpa ever seen a A/C Heat Central home ! I feel for the ones that lived back then.

I grew up on a farm and did all that when I was young too. So there is no way I am going to do it when I am old....

But if anyone ever asks, "Where you raised in a barn?" I can answer, "Well, as a matter of fact, I was."