VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Partial Success, Awaiting Results

Rate this topic

rlarc

A final followup to my posts (the last was on 7 may 2015).  The compensation I received in may 2015 did not include compensation for my children.  However, the VA did send me the necessary forms to apply for this compensation.  Although I had filled out these forms in 2005 when I started the case, and although these forms were a part of my record before the agency, I decided the best course of action was to fill out the forms a second time.  Time passed and then one day I found a large deposit in my checking account, followed, a few days later, by an explanation of the amount.  Since the amount was within $10 of my own calculations, I decided to put this to rest.  The final settlement arrived 11 years 4 months after the case was initially filed.

Obviously, I am glad the case was settled in my favor, but I was disappointed that the court elected not to address the basic question in the case, namely the meaning of "properly notified" and "timely filed".  Instead, the court directed the VA to pay me the compensation owed ($190,000) without having to admit their error.  Of course, as someone once said, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard sometimes you can get what you need."

This website was one of several sources of very, very useful information.  My thanks.

rlarc

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use