VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Study: Tbi And Dementia Risk For Adults 55+

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I came across this while researching dementia for my father's upcoming claim that I am preparing to file. In his case, there is no family history of dementia. In Vietnam, there was a vehicle accident where he was thrown and ended up pinned underneath. Later, he also had a couple of other documented head injuries.

I thought these two studies might come in handy for anyone else who can convince their doctor to read and reference it in their claims.

A new study published in JAMA Neurology suggests that for adults aged 55 years and older, traumatic brain injury may be linked to an increased risk of dementia

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284486.php

"If the non-brain trauma population had incident rates similar to non-traumatized age-equivalent controls, trauma could be ruled out as a risk factor and more specific effects of brain injury can be examined for their contribution to eventual dementia."

The study follows up on another study that focuses on veterans:

Veterans study suggests risk of dementia rises with traumatic brain injury

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/278750.php

Of the 188,784 veterans studied, 1,229 had been diagnosed with a TBI. During the study's follow-up period, 16% of these veterans developed dementia. This figure was compared with the 18,225 without a TBI, of whom 10% developed dementia.

If further research finds that the relationship between a history of TBI and dementia is causal, then this will have implications for the public. Although military personnel are a high-risk group, half of TBIs occur as a result of motor vehicle accidents. TBIs can also be caused by accidents during sport and work.
Edited by Vync

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question