VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Claim Scars?

Rate this question

KansasNavy

Question

I saw someone posted that they were awarded 30% for scarring from multiple surgeries. Do you have to claim them specifically or will they note that in the C&P exam and automatically give it to you? I have had two stomach surgeries and two back surgeries all in the same areas.

• HadIt.com Elder

Having been down the road concerning scars from surgery related to an SC'd condition - - -

The major considerations for a 'well healed" scar are surface area, and pain or discomfort. Appearance becomes

important when the scars are "disfiguring".

Major Surgery scars can usually be argued as deep scars, since they generally go through multiple layers of tissue

muscle, and with such things as CABG, even involve cutting bone. Skin glands (sweat, oil, etc.) can be involved, and

periodically cause discoloration, irritation, itching, and even pain.

Some time ago, there was a change in the scar regs that added 0%, and reduced scars that would have been rated under the old reg at 10%

to 0%.

The scar regs are so complex that I doubt anyone actually gets them right!

Edited by Chuck75

Well I have scars rated for me one in the middle of my throat and a second across the side of my nose. Make sure somewhere in your evidence it's least how big the scars are and if they bother you such as pain or itchyness and if they are disfiguring. I am rated 30% for the accumulation of my scars on my face and body. But then again I had to appeal the service   Connection at first. So yes definately file!