VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Imo/ime/nexus/dbq

Rate this question

Leon2015

Question

I'm very confused about what I need. So I will share a bit about my situation and hopefully I can make some leeway.

I'm currently 70% with 60% of that being GERD alone. My GERD along with my chronic pain causes me to have a high level of Depression and Anxiety on a daily basis. My VA Psyschiatrist, wrote a letter stating that I need time off from work for 3 months and I never got better, and been out of work for almost a year. Here is my question I have been diagnosed with Major Depression Disorder, Anxiety, and I just started a claim online with these 2 items secondary to my GERD, LUMBAR, and Knee. I have been diagnosed with PTSD too but I don't have that in my claim.

I really want my claim to succeed with out going through years of appeals and remands. Should I just file the claim and see what happens or should get an IMO/IME/Mental Health DBQ or Nexus letter and submit with this initial claim for mental health disability. Do I need really need help linking my current disabilities to my mental health issues that have already been diagnosed by the VA and are in my VA Health records.

I was considering asking my VA Mental Health psychiatrist to complete an mental health dbq for me.

I'm not coming here blindly I have done some research but now I'm just spinning my wheels because I'm not sure what the VA is looking for at this stage.

Please point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Edited by Leon2015

1 answer to this question

leon, i can tell you from my experience that the fact i had depression issues while in the navy helped me. my claim was secondary to my service connected back issue, having lived with chronic pain over 30 years. i got 30 percent. if i wanted, i probably could have filed a disagreement and gotten 50 percent out of it. i didn't because i got unemployability a few months later.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use