VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hired Dr. Bash

Rate this question

Scout Swimmer

Question

My wife was denied Asthma and headaches in 2011. The appeal is currently at BVA and after I had her pull her file from her CVSO, I realized her vet rep was rather incompetent. (Her claim was a real mess and I knew she would lose if something didn't change fast).

My first step was meeting with John Dorle. We bought her paperwork and met at a caribou coffee in Elk River MN, 4 weeks ago.

He proceeded to go over all her paperwork and give us his opinion. He informed us that we would lose and are representation we currently had was inadequate to say the least. He also advised us if we hired him, we should hire Dr. Craig Bash as well.

I was very impressed with John. He seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. He came up with a plan that seemed to make sense rather quickly, so we took his advice and hired Dr. Bash.

We then met with Dr. Bash accompanied by John. He looked over my wife's file and felt confident that he could help us. We hired him that day and wrote a check. He also provided IMO's for new secondary conditions and said he would attend any conference we might have with BVA.

He then contacted us later in the week and asked us for more money because he felt that her case was stronger than he first anticipated. I thought it strange that he would renegotiate an already negotiated price but we agreed.

We paid a lot of money, and I am wondering if any of you have had a bad experience with Dr. Bash in a claim. (If you lose, does he just ride off in the sunset? Does he really live up to his name, ect ect)? I understand that no claim is a guarantee and the VA has a rather large bag of tricks to screw Veterans out of entitlements but I hope these guys will fight for us.

Thanks,

Edited by Philgrenier

there is a reason the VA highly recommends VSO s and it takes divine intervention to fire them once you lnstall them as your power of attorney.. Bringing most VSO s (not all ) into the baTtle is like bringing a blind man to a knife fight, they might get in the way, offer support, but likely wont get much done.. JMHO

I own these words and speak from personal experience.

i actually had 2 that were worth their paycheck!

Buck52, I thought they said, they paid money up front".

No doubt Dr. Bash is probably the premiere IMO physician, but for veterans whom cant afford the $2500-$5000 upfront payment, then what?

I wish they could take it out of the retro payment.

Hello All,

I agree with Buck , this is the first time I have read something derogatory with Dr. Bash. I am only going off of my use with him and on 3 imos or imes. I was successful in 2 of them and awaiting DRO review and shipping to BVA for other issues that will have to be awarded because of multiple medical issues that are service connected.

First , I was told by many that one of my cases, involving FTCA would not be successful, that from one doctor I tried to hire , and an ex Deputy director of Justice Dept, who was my initial attorney, and others on Hadit. Thru my diligence and study, my perservance, record digging, research on Hadit and encouragement from Jbasser , I successfully settled my case. One of only 60 in 2013 according to Dept of Veterans Affairs, Dept of Justice records. The other claim , was awarded because of the evidence, the opinions, the Service Medical Records , the 38 CFRs.

As far as Dr. Bash , he is negotiable , and will work with you.

He has over 4000 veterans claims he has done opinions on. If you can find another Doctor and one who knows the 38 CFRs and the Medical requirements of an IMO/IME please let this group know.

When you see the other Doctors who I have used to write IMOS and IMEs you can easily see the difference. I spent a lot of money on IMOs and IMEs that just did not have the power needed to get thru.

I have used VA PCPs and VA doctors to write IMOs and they were never done as they should be. Also I want to point out that the VA PCP WORKS for the VA and they are told by their superiors as well as the VBA to not step out and do this. IF you were to find a VA PCP doctor to write you one then I will just about guarantee you it will not be done correctly. Yes , every once in a while you will get lucky to find one to write an opinion, but I have fought with the VA for 9 years and have tried to get results from them.

I have only had 3 doctors in the whole system who wrote positive notes and opinions for me.

You, the Veteran , must do the research yourself. There is no other way. They are YOUR records. The 38 CFRs are there for all Veterans to read , study and understand them. Whatever is written in your records , can either damage or win your cause. Having the scale tilt in the Veterans favor is covered in the 38 CFRs , under the Benefit of a Doubt rule 38 CFT 5107,(b), Gilbert vs Derwinski, Hayes vs Brown. Sometimes the RO will get it right , but as most of us know it will usually take the BVA or even the CAVC to get it right for the Veteran.

Having an attorney that is trained in VA law is one thing , but having a doctor that is trained in medical opinions that are ACCEPTED by the VA is totally another. You cannot get an attorney to make a medical opinion, just as you cannot get a legal opinion from a medical doctor. Having both a sound VA attorney and a sound Medical doctor that EXCEL in VA claims is the most proven way. There are enough of us here at Hadit who have tried both and used others and also Dr. Bash.

If you do not look at your claim as an investment then you are certainly gambling. Your time is very valuable and as years go by on any claim with the VA , your chances of loosing are greatly increased unless you know the 38 CFRs , the number of VA lawyers, and the Medical doctors that can help you to win your claim YEARS down the road. If you choose to not look at your claim as an investment , then do little to learn the regs , laws, and your representatives , either legal or medical. You should try to put together a team to assist you, not some to do all the work , because no one knows your claim better that you. I would also take the advice of those who have done this the longest, have the best record of success, and those who have succeeded.

Another way to put it is if I wanted to win a golf tournament , I would not pick the local pro. I think I would want to talk to Jack Nickalus. Yes Jack may charge more for his advice , but he has proven himself to know what it takes. If your local pro is so good then why doesn't he have a record like Jack. Just saying ......my money and my own hard study and gathering of records will be given to those like Dr. Bash or an attorney you see here mentioned on Hadit. These folks have proven track records and they have experience with the VA.

Do not be afraid to ask how many Veterans IMOs or IMEs have you done in the past? Or how long have you been practicing VA Law? And do not be afraid to ask some of the members here at Hadit who have been here a long time their opinions. Hadit is not a shouting board for any Veteran to just go against the grain of success and just plain go after our members who have been here a long time trying to help our Veterans. If you want to try it your way and are successful , please let all of our members know so we all can shout with joy for you.

Many of us here , have been there, done that,,,,,,,,didn't work out the way we hoped and then backed up and looked at what works and is proven to work. Regrouped and tried again. Yea , maybe not 100% of the time but better than the way not chosen by those who have been doing this for a number of years.

For any Veteran knowing the 38 CFRs is essential , a proven team of medical and legal reps.......coupled with the right attitude that a Veteran must always be reminded to ...........NEVER GIVE UP. Blessings, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

Hello All,,,,,

I have been reading some rather confusing statements by some concerning fees to be paid for by Veterans for legal representation. First it is illegal for any representative or agent to legally charge a Veteran for any work done on a claim before it is decided. So for our group , DO NOT pay for an attorney upfront.

The 38 CFRs are very clear about this. The attorney/agent is to be paid out of the retro once the Veteran wins. If the Veteran does not win , then the attorney/agent receives no pay. Plain and simple. Also it is key to note that the attorney/agent is only allowed 20% of the retro by law. And if it goes to CAVC then only 25% MAXIMUM.

There is a lot being put forth on this and it is not legal to pay for an attorney and this attorney can be in serious trouble. For some of our veterans to post anything about paying for an attorney is misleading and I am posting from the 38 CFR and from NOVA which expounds on this subject. It specifically states that if anything is put forth that exceeds the 20% retro AFTER the veteran is awarded is not to be viewed as under VA guidelines and laws and the VA will not acknowledge that agreement or pay for it.

I would CAUTION any Veteran to not pay for any service by a Lawyer upfront. If you carefully read the wording of the 38 CFR listed here then you can better evaluate your lawyer and his or her knowledge of the 38 CFRs. I would challenge that Lawyers knowledge of the law if they are going totally against the 38 CFRs on payment to attorneys restrictions and guidelines.

https://vetadvocates.org/veterans-help/the-fees-which-may-be-charged-by-an-agent-or-attorney/

Please remember that Veterans are their best advocate and knowledge of the 38 CFRs are important , almost as important for a Veteran to NEVER GIVE UP. Blessings, C.C.

I would CAUTION any Veteran to not pay for any service by a Lawyer upfront.

most attorneys don't charge up front but some IMO doctor does and that's not

right.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use