VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dual Degree Payment

Rate this question

thdrew

Question

Hello all,

Long story short, I was a dual degree student for a while. Voc rehab counselor called and told me they do not support dual degrees. Went up to supervisor level and they turned it down again, made me pick one or the other. Issue is I was actually able to complete the other degree at the same time I was taking classes for the main degree. I am about to graduate and the VA is going to surely be getting a bill for two degrees and take notice. I cant pay for the other degree past graduation because the school will make me take an additional 15 upper level hours.

Question is: Can the VA charge me for the other classes I took after changing my major? I mean, what can they really do? I was able to complete two degrees in 3.5 years because of my ability and determination. My end goal is getting a job so I used the program I was entitled to be the most marketable I can be. Thoughts?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Didn't the VA pay for the main degree already? while you were in Voc Rehab?

"Can the VA charge me for the other classes I took after changing my major?"

Were you paid a Voc Rehab stipend that included the credit hours for both degrees?

Has VA Voc Rehab asked you for any type of reimbursement?
This doesn't make sense.

i assume you have dealt with the VA Voc Rehab counselor at your school.They might be able to straighten this out.

And maybe this link will help:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/subsistence_allowance_rates.asp

VOCREHAB pays each semester for the classes you are taking. If you did it right and took classes that were required for both degrees there is no way they can ask for you to payback. If you got two degrees out of it, that's a good thing and makes you more EMPLOYABLE per VOCREHAB regulations. On top of doing it faster than the allotted time period makes your case even stronger. I would not be concerned about it. But that is my opinion.

I have seen it done a lot when I was in VOCREHAB the first time. Then that occupation made my conditions worse. Ended up losing that job, found a sedatory job and lost it. Then became unemployed. Applied for VOCREHAB again and they stated I was not eligible for VOCREHAB but put me in ILP cause I was not trainable and was unemployable. Even got a letter from them stating it.

All just my opinion though. Others will chime in. Mrs. Berta is one of the best on here along with others, stay on this site as it is full of experts like Mrs. Berta.

Berta,

My Voc Rehab rep isnt on campus and she is the fourth counselor I have had in the 3.5 years I have been in the program. I don't have a lot of faith in their commitment or abilities. The counselor is unaware that I have completed the degree requirements for the second degree but I have to graduate with them both at the same time so I'm sure the paperwork will hit her desk at some point. I was just curious of the potential backlash when she figures out that I got two degrees and not just one.

They have had no oversight on me other than a yearly meeting where they ask if I need anything and again there have been 4 different reps.. I did what I felt necessary to put myself in the best employment position. I was just wanting to make sure they couldn't try and take back BAH or some other crazy thing.

Thanks again for any help.

While I was Active a graduated just a few Years Ago with a double Masters in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security. The Military only paid for so much and I had to pay for the rest with Student Loans. Luckily last year when I became 100%, I submitted and the Loan was Forgiven by the Govt. I do know that thru the Various programs you are only allowed to be paid for so many classes and credit hours. Good luck