VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Happens To Your Appeal If You Move To Another State?

Rate this question

Slowlane

Question

My appeal is stuck on the hamster wheel and going nowhere in St Pete. I can't even get a SOC.

If I move to another state does the appeal move to that RO? I'm thinking that would be good.

Thanks, Slowlane

It's my understanding that the appeal stays with the RO. The va is about dates and numbers and there would be a hissy fit to transfer a 5 yr old appeal to another station. My guess it's probably stuck at at Pete. Sorry. Jmho

Rats!! I'm in the same boat. Guess will submit my NOD and see where it goes. The 800# said they put in a request to move my case etc to the state I live in now.

What type of Appeal did you file, DRO Review/Hearing or straight to BVA? Exactly how long have you been waiting? I trust you have submitted New & Compelling Material Evidence to be considered. At best, you may get a VARO automatic review of your denial by a Sr. Rater or actual DRO giving deference to the original decision, well before your actual DRO/BVA Hearing is scheduled.

Semper Fi

Gastone

• HadIt.com Elder

Generally, if the current VARO finds you have moved, they will dump your appeal, on the new VARO, thereby improving their numbers by "one." It's all about the numbers, not about the claims, themselves. When I notified the VA of my new address in Idaho, they transferred my appeal to Idaho. I contacted them and advised them I didn't want my appeal moved, and they returned it to my VT VARO.

pr

You haven't specified what type of Appeal your waiting for, that could make a big difference if it all comes down to #'s and your place in line. If you're waiting on a BVA Hearing, how would the transfer affect your future Hearing Date place in line? If it's a DRO Hearing, same question? PR's experience would indicate careful consideration is necessary before just putting in a change of residence. You may want to be proactive and request in advance that your appeal stays at your original VARO. I don't think you can determine with certainty what the effects of a transfer would have on the future Hearing timeline.

Semper Fi

Gastone