VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Imo Or Ime From Dentist?

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

I have a very good outside dentist that filled out a DBQ but now I am thinking I should have gotten an IMO or IME? Which is better? Secondly, since I already filed an FDC I am assuming that I should NOT submit the IMO/IME. Should I have it prepared by my dentist for back up in case my dental claim secondary to my eating disorder gets denied?

How do I have one prepared by him. He is not familiar with the VA but is willing to assist me in anyway he can.

Thanks!

Navy4life,

An IME is an Independent Medical Evaluation or basically a thorough well documented exam by physicans, dentist, etc. In your case, your dentist would need to state in your IMO that they conducted a thorough examination of your teeth and in their opinion the damage to your teeth were "as likely as not" (or "more likely than not", etc.)caused by your current service connected eating disorder.

If you haven't already done so, I would provide your eating disorder medical records to your dentist for their review. The dentist needs to state in the IMO that they have reviewed all of your eating disorder medical records. The dentist's medical opinion would have to be supported by reasonable medical rationale.

As I previously stated, there is info on Hadit regarding IMOs. I believe Berta or Carlie posted a sample IMO on Hadit. I would suggest providing your dentist with a sample copy of an IMO.

GP

That is what I have been looking for georgiapapa...I can't seem to find the sample IMO...I am usually pretty good at finding info...UGH..Can you or someone help me out?

I did provide the medical documentation about my eating disorder to my dentist...

Steph

• HadIt.com Elder
  • HadIt.com Elder

Here is how to write a nexus letter!

http://usva101.org/nexus.html

.......................Buck

Navy4life,

I don't know what happened to the IMO sample on Hadit. I could not find it either.

Go to the following website: veteransinfo.tripod.com

Do not put www in front of the website name.

Once on the website, Click on "Veterans Benefits & Information" on the left hand side,

and then scroll down to "Nexus Letters."

Nexus Letter is basically the same as an IMO. It is a written opinion showing a nexus or connection between two things. In your case the letter would have to be written to show a connection between your eating disorder and your damaged teeth. The letters written by Dr. Quack are basic samples of what an IMO must contain. Other info on nexus letters/IMOs can be found on this same website. If my recollection is correct, these are the same sample IMOs/nexus letters previously shown on Hadit.

If I find any additional IMO samples I will let you know.

Good luck.

GP

Navy4life,

The example provided by Buck from the USVA website would be a better example to use and to take to your dentist.

GP

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use