VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Dd 214 Va Claim How?

Rate this question

malandroaz

Question

If you have no DD 214 (reservist never activated) injured during basic training, inactive duty drilling or annual training how do you claim VA disability Claim? It is required to show DD 214.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA should be able to locate one, for you. If you served a full reserve enlistment, you should have received an "honorable discharge" certificate. Also, your state's Judge Adjutant General should have a copy. Having trouble w/spelling this morning. Edit is because I had to correct my spelling!!

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

If you were hurt during IDT weekend or Annual training, then you should have an approved LOD for the injury. This will establish you were hurt during military training, the LOD will have the DA 1379 (attendance record) and DA 2173 signed by the doctor and company commander, along with treatment records and/or witness statments. If you failed to report the injury, then you will have issues proving you were hurt during training. I hope this helps.

• HadIt.com Elder

It use to be a veteran was eligible if he served 2 weeks of basic training but thats out now a veteran must serve 24 months of active duty.

I know a veteran that served 2 weeks in basic and fell and hurt his back he got a medical discharge...was in the service about 2 months which most was spent in military hospital...he got his DD214...An about 45 years later I took him to the VAMC and he enrolled for medical care...he was on SSDI at the age of 19 he never work a job just his short stint in the military...but he did have a DD214...Remember his time in the military was around 1966.

Sadly he passed away last year at age 70 died in his sleep.

..............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm going to disagree here. I believe the VA is like worker's comp, in that if you are injured while "working" you are covered. If you hurt yourself, during basic/boot training, they must pay you, no matter whether you have the 2yr requirement met or not. I believe the 2yr requirement is as valid as the waivers we signed at discharge. I'm sure they kept a lot of troops from filing/appealing claims but held no validity. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

"a veteran must serve 24 months of active duty"

Not always! There is quite a list of exceptions.

Also, in the "old days", it was 18 months.