VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Usaf Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal

Has anybody applied for or received the USAF Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal yet? I think they started taking applications a few months ago, and started issuing in March or early April, 2015. I am sure that the Air Force is starting with all current active duty, reserve and guard personnel first, but at some point they should start working on retired, honorably discharged and deceased veterans as well, issuing retroactively back to December 26, 1991.

For veterans serving on nuclear bases, or in support of nuclear operations, prior to that date, I have no idea why they didn't carry it further back. I know that the Army issues a Cold War Service Certificate for veterans of all service branches if they served prior to December 26, 1991, and hope that an actual medal will be authorized by Congress this time around. (I received my certificate from the Army a few months ago.)

Just wondering if any retired or discharged veterans have received anything yet. Have a great weekend.

Mark

This site says it has a projected date of March 2015:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/507416/af-releases-criteria-for-new-service-medal.aspx

Maybe that is the actual issuance date or maybe when the medals will have been prepared????

Thanks, Berta. I do know that it's not an automatic medal for anybody serving on nuke bases during that time frame. They are requiring all separated and retired AF personnel to submit a SF-180 with supporting documentation (DD-Form 214, PCS orders, medals, training certificates, evaluations, duty rosters, etc.).

I sent mine in a few months go when the submission period opened, and now am in a holding pattern. I know it doesn't do anything for my VA claims, nor does it help in regular life, but it was something good to turn my attention away from my NOD for a while.

I'll let y'all know if I hear anything.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update:

Today I received a letter in the mail from the USAF Personnel Center verifying my eligibility and award of the USAF Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with the "N" Device, and one Oak Leaf Cluster. They advised that my package is being forward to the discharge section so that my discharge information can be updated on my DD Form 214, presumably by issing a DD Form 215. (I'm guessing that's how they will update my discharge papers.)

They further advised that the medals are not currently in stock, but the medal and accompanying devices will be mailed to me at the end of 2015 when they become available.

That's all I have right now, but if you are eligible, or believe you are, submit a SF-180 to the AFPC with supporting documentation and they will do the rest of the work. I'll update y'all with additional information as I get it. Have a great weekend!

Mark

• HadIt.com Elder

I served on a nuke missile site with US Army. How did I know there were nukes we all had to wear a device that was collected and tested every month

Pete,

From what I have read, they are still addressing several career fields that were involved in the nuclear mission, including those who served in other branches other than the USAF. I think they are still playing catchup on everything, trying desperately to complete all current active duty, while being bombarded by retirees and veterans like me, so I imagine that at some point, they will have a chance to look at others that were involved in the mission. Keep checking in on it.

Mark