VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questionable Claims Agent

Rate this question

ihateliver

Question

I just came across this site yesterday and there is alot of great information here. Hopefully someone can assist me with this issue.

Three or four years ago a Veteran I met out and about informed me of a Vet Rep who could assist me with increasing my current 40% rating. I paid him $500.00 up front for representation and he would get 10% of any backpay. However he doesnt call, he is not listed as my POA on the ebenefits website, and I can never reach him by phone or email. I'm at a loss of what to do.

• HadIt.com Elder

Exactly where are you at in the claims process. If you are not in the appeal process he cannot charge you. The up front money is illeagle. Go ahead and post his name here.

JBasser

This is the rule.

By law, no person or organization may charge claimants a fee for assistance in preparing applications for VA benefits or presenting claims to VA. VA-accredited agents and attorneys may charge fees for assistance on a claim for VA benefits only after VA has issued a decision on a claim, a Notice of Disagreement has been filed initiating an appeal of that decision, and the agent or attorney has complied with the power-of-attorney requirements in 38 C.F.R. § 14.631 and the fee agreement requirements in 38 C.F.R. § 14.636(g). 38 U.S.C. § 5904©(1); 38 C.F.R. § 14.636©.

• HadIt.com Elder

To bad you didn't get on hadit before you did this, I'm afraid by him not taking your calls or answering your emails your $$ gone!

sounds like he scammed you....check your claim and see if he or anyone has sent anything in? maybe check with peggy! the 1-800 maybe it has his/information on it?

if this is what happen to you I am so sorry for ya Bud.

..................Buck

Folks:

I had a similar situation when I first thought about a claim..the guy was very aggressive as he was a friend of a friend so I thought that he had some credibility. I back out and then went to an official VSO, but even then, It was not a good experince. My advice is to use this site, do your homework, and then file an FDC or Fully Developed Claim. Just google, VA fully developed claim and there will be multiple sources that you can use to get stared, including hadit.com. YouTube has a really good FDC video that explains the who process and is a good way to start in terms of your disability claims education. Frankly, at the end of the day, you will be your best Advocate so you need to start on that journey right now....good luck...

I don't want to post his name yet because he is legit and he does help other vets, however I honestly believe at this time he is overwhelmed. I had decided earlier not to contact him (I've tried unsucessfully to reach him over 20 times in the last week) anymore and if I do not hear from him, I'll report him myself.

I check eBenefis and there is nothing filed on my behalf. The times I have spoken with him he says that the Baltimore office has a backlog on claims. He did get me a psych eval, but that is all that has been done and that was two years ago.

I've currently been at 40% for years. I've never really kept up with my issues, but I do have some old records that show sinus issues all the way from 1981 that could be contributing to conditions I have had over the years. Now I'm on a CPAP and just had surgery on a leg that veins got so bad my foot was discolored. Other issues as well.