VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stress Out With Vocational Rehabilitation

Rate this question

chauncey021

Question

I been having a hard time dealing with Vocational rehabilitation program and hoping to get help some other veterans.

I'm 100% disability for PTSD. I had a lot of guilt and problems coming home from oversea lead me to being medically discharged from the army. I loved being in the military and serving my country. It eats at me being home doing nothing and collecting disability. I feel so many other veterans are far worse then me but are not getting the help or support they need. I spent the last couple years using my gi bill to go to college and get a bachelor's degree of science with a 3.4 GPA. I been job hunting on my own but been unsuccessful. I apply for the vocational rehabilitation program in hope of find work. my counselor never look at my resume or help me apply for any jobs. only recommend I go back to college and work on a master degree. I requested any type of government job or just job with people who are military friendly even non paid work to start with. I was turn down by the counselor and told I need to go back to school I agree I go back to school. Month after month pass I was told to wait and be patient it been 8 month nothing been done no job or school or anything I requested a new counselor nothing been done. I talk with the director of the vocational rehabilitation program today I was told by the director after 8 month of being in the program and have the approval latter that they would not help me find employment and they wont send me back to school. If I really want a Job they find me a job working with people with special needs if I refuse I wont be helped. I said I like different job even guard work anything I was told i can't work because I have 100% PTSD rating. I ask about any program or schooling i can do so i can become employed I was told no and be a waste of tax payers money to help me.

I don't know what going on I spoken with my doctors none have a problem with my working. I'm allowed to work with my 100% rating and even if i was not I would choice to work over doing nothing. I don't know what to say or do at vocational rehabilitation to get them to help me find employment what do i do?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Let me state it this way. You can be seen under independent living.

The Doctors do not make the decision about your working. The title 38 part 4 does. That is what we call the law. As it really is the law.

Your 100 percent rating for a mental disorder precludes working.

Now you can go to work, but the VA will cut your compensation. Maybe even sever it. Do you want to run that risk?

J

I'm not TDIU I was rated 100% and told I would be allowed to work. I was told when I start the vocational rehabilitation program I would be able to work. it was only now after 8 month into the program I was told I would not be allowed to go to school or work. If i was able to find a career I make that choice over the compensation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Here is the critertia for 100 perent mental disorder.

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

I been approved for vocational rehabilitation. I been apart of the program for 8 month and been told for 8 months I could go back to college and would employment. I could fully understand if i was turn down for the program because my PTSD as you pointed out Jbasser and I can fully understand seattleshay It not likely anyone with 100% PTSD would be approved for the program. My doctor said it would be a good idea and also help me apply for the program. I have been approved into the program I been working in the program for 8 month but never really got any place. I don't understand why I would of been approved and gotten this far then been told no. All my paperwork say i'm allowed to work every doctor I spoken with say I can work even the vocational rehabilitation told me for 8 month I can work. I was only this week I been told something different. Nothing changed to raise any problem i simply requested a new a new counselor to start college sooner nothing been done.

Something some really wrong A) i was lie to for the last 8 months and told I could work when really it would never really happen. B) the last couple year I been told I can work and I got help by the doctors to get to that point and was help to join the vocational rehabilitation program is true and the doctors have not been playing games with me but simply the person who told me no didn't not understand my situation and simply read 100% ptsd and said no. But if that the case and i have been approved and can work who can I speak with to find out what going on?