VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc Awarded This Board Is Unbelievable!

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA combines using VA math, even when a 100% single rating exists that is separate.

Since a combined rating is basically a black hole, it consumes any and all remaining disabilities.

But - - - what happens when a combined rating gets to 60%, entitling a veteran to SMC?

Other ratings may go beyond the 60% needed. What happens to them?

If the 60% is used up, then should the combining start all over?

Or, there is language saying something about used once that might apply to restarting a new VA

math combination?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would like to report that I was awarded smc (s) with retro pay back to 2008. It continues to amaze me what you can learn on this board and other boards about the benefits that you are entitled to but everything thing is so vague and confusing when dealing with the VA. Once again thanks to everyone, I'm proof that you qualify for SMC (s) if you have a 100% disability and other disabilities that are combine to equal 60% or more. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, I actually received a call from a VA representative on the past Saturday to inform me. Also, it has been updated in my ebenefits portal. THANKS!!

P.S. EMAILING BOB WORKED!!!!

In desperation, I ended up doing the email bob bit several months ago, over the same problem. It was worth it for the amount of retro involved, if nothing else! An additional benefit was that it made the VARO that had been just sitting on things to get off it's duff (After several years) and start things moving again. Now, I'm waiting to see what the BVA decides. I believe the SMRs and my VA files have enough information to award, but you never know! Nothing like calling CUE on the VARO for multiple errors.

• 1 month later...

Just remember those who have TDIU plus 60% that you are also entitled to "S". You can quote Bradley V  Peake as your authority if they quibble.  We are not supposed to have to file any claim

for  statutory housebound, so if they don't grant it when they should it is a CUE.   It is as if you were rated 50% and they refused to pay you.  It is an error of the most grievous kind.

I agree