VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Find Unit Records?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a veteran go about finding his in-service records from Vietnam that showed what he did, for instance he did not do his MOS but was assign to another type job, how would he prove this?

And was still with this same unit, Would those records show what he did ? or keep him at his MOS Although that's not what he was assign to.

Would he contact St Louis NRSP and see what the records show/? were trying to find out how to prove what he did in Vietnam.

He has old record of in-country travel orders that had to be renewed every 60 days & Sign off by his CO

This was his new assignment Recovery of US Disable Vehicle's from the field/ mechanical failure or demolished from acts of war.

Thanks in Advance

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Possibly this link could help him:
http://www.sfa37.us/index.html

And MG Healy was in Command of some Special Ops:

"Assumed command of the 1st Brigade, 9th Infantry Division in Vietnam in August 1969 and redeployed with Brigade to Hawaii."

http://www.sfa37.us/mg-healy.html

Might be wrong brigade and wrong dates but one never knows what they can find at Google.

I have a silk flyers scarf map of Vietnam, along with new Viet phrase book. These belonged to my wife's ex- who was a Navy pilot. I will try and scan it. Very unusual map.

Edited by vern2

Correction, I had not looked at this map in years. It is actually CL 46 (Thailand) and CL 47 (Northern Philippines), and is USAF marked RESTRICTED. Not sure how he got it or why-but my wife is from Phillipines. Wonder if it is valuable? The phrase book is dated 4 April 1966 and is titled "A Pocket Guide to Viet Nam" It is in new condition. This may bring back memories to those who served in Vietnam. I did not, as was still in high school until June 1968, then went to college until drafted in July 1972. My brother served 2 tours as combat medic over there.

Edited by vern2

Buck, Helping other vets is good and has some great rewards. BUT, there are instances that happen and I know a few personally so a word to the wise.

Berta wrote= Lots of questions here...I know.. but I also had experience with Special Ops claimants too, that could never prove at all how they were involved with Special Ops.Special forces Command.

But they were unwilling to contact Command and JSRRC themselves or even try to obtain their 201 file from the Military.

Sorry Berta could not get your quote above to bold for me.

Anyhow case in point years ago I was up at my father n laws hunting cabin and one of the members brought a new guy. Now this guy claimed to be Nam vet, special forces and had brought a bunch of gar with him! Mostly new looking. Well my father n law just kind of listened to his stories and they just didn't ring true but we didn't say anything to make a fuss.

Father n law was a Korean vet, and did not talk at all about the war and me being Vietnam and pretty much kept my mouth shut.

We heard from the member who brought the guy about a month later and you guest it he was a total jerk and had never even been in the military!!

I have had other things go on too so I just pace myself when I am helping someone to believe!

Stillhere

We had a "Special Ops" 'vet' here a few years ago and right away PR and I knew something was fishy.

We asked a few pertinent questions and he never came back to hadit.

Stillhere, I realized that when a vet asks for help and they do not follow through on valid suggestions, and expect the person helping them to try to do too much, it probably means they are a wannabee.

I have no reason to believe that the vet Buck is helping isnt a real Spec Ops vet.

But I sure have had some surprises, particularly even from a few widows who came here over the years, thinking their spouse had

combat or exemplary non combat service and they only found out the truth when the vet died and they tried to get DIC

Years ago I asked one widow to email me a copy of her spouses DD 214 and found out he had been incarcerated when he died, because he stole lots of cash from the Army., and he had gotten a dishonorable discharge.

And other widows were not even 'widows' of the veteran they claimed to be,so wannabes are not limited to 'veterans' at all.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks stillhere,

I know what you mean and yeah I have heard a lot of different war stories from Nam, I don 't let it bother me to much cause I don't like to talk about Nam, but this vet is a Nam vet with combat ..he just don't have any records from what unit he was in....

Were gathering them up I had him to write JSRRC 201...he may not need them.but be good for him to put in his c-file.

.........................Buck