VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suicide

Rate this question

lynnga

Question

If someone kills themselves while awaiting c&p exam so they can get compensated enough to get inpatient treatment so their family doesn't lose their home and such. The person has requested multiple times for help and getting inpatient treatment with compensation for family to not struggle financially due to spouse work schedule and childcare and mortgage. Is blown off and finds note from mst coordinator on va records stating she feels it's more about compensation than recovery. Will family be able to get compensation after veteran is dead from suicide? This veteran isn't getting the help they need and sees no way out. It was never about money to go around and shop with, it was money for the family to deal while veteran gets inpatient help for 2-3 months.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Remember that Suicide is not natural cause death, and I know that you are having a hard time. What you have to realize is that health comes first no matter what. I myself spent 3 months in a Civilian Mental Hospital while I was active in 2012. I too had 2 small children at that time and a young wife doing it all on her own while I was gone, and a Geo Bachelor. Material things and a place to live can always be had. I always tell Vets the same regardless of situation, family or children. You need to seek help, and if you are in bad shape then continue to seek treatment at VA and submit a claim. Evidence is Evidence is Evidence. In less than a year my VA increased from 80 to 100%, got SSDI in less than 10 weeks, and wife is paid by VA to be my care giver. Do you have SSDI, what is your 50% VA for, and as I stated on another thread of yours, I have a lot more in common with you then you think. Also I went the Suicide route and thank God it Failed, and I know now that is not the answer to anything. Not fair to leave the family behind to pick up the pieces, and I have $1.5 million in Life Insurance. Good luck and God Bless

I'm 50% disability through military. 30% mental health. I've been seeking help and disgusted that a note from a hotline put in saying I'm more worried of compensation instead of recovery. I'm worried about compensation to get recovery. Seems like they just want to not help or just aren't looking into my military med and service records to show the proof. If they just looked, they'd see.

"Will family be able to get compensation after veteran is dead from suicide"

If they are found to have been insane at time of suicide, maybe...the legal spouse might get DIC...a big Might.

If VA considers the act as "willful misconduct" the surviving spouse wont get a dime.of DIC.

I posted the VA suicide regulations here some time ago when a veteran friend of mine killed himself.

They are available under a hadit search.

The wife wanted me to help her "get some money from the Army like you do" I get DIC not money from the Army. but she never filed out the DIC app I sent to her ,but kept calling me to get her some army money. ....and then I found out why. she never sent in the DIC app.

She was not his legal wife.

There was no way she could have proven he was insane anyhow.He never had any MH issues or treatment for MH.

email undersecretary of the VA Allison Hickey allison.hickey@va.gov

tell her your story, that you want more than once a week therapy and you are worried about harming yourself. you want inpatient therapy,but you are not being given it

The vet you are talking about might get somewhere with the Under Secretary of VA, allison.hickey@va.gov if this is a delay in care he needs right away.

"while veteran gets inpatient help for 2-3 months"

Not all in Pt vets, if you mean the PTSD VA inhouse program, obtain the 100% temp. Nor sure what you mean there.