VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi And Central Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Warrior

Question

If you're asking me what the letter said. My Doctor looked at the sleep study results and then said in a short letter that is more likely then not that the my CSA was caused by my TBI. i had my wife send in a statement as well. 

@Warrior and @goaltender, sorry to revive an old and possibly "dead" post, but I have a SC TBI and complex sleep apnea (mainly central). I have a VA sleep doc who filled out a DBQ and is on record saying my central aspect of my sleep apnea is "more likely than not" due to my TBI, but I just found out my secondary connection claim failed. 

Did either of you receive any connection to your head injuries for a central/mixed/complex sleep apnea?

48 minutes ago, bellrungboxer said:

@Warrior and @goaltender, sorry to revive an old and possibly "dead" post, but I have a SC TBI and complex sleep apnea (mainly central). I have a VA sleep doc who filled out a DBQ and is on record saying my central aspect of my sleep apnea is "more likely than not" due to my TBI, but I just found out my secondary connection claim failed. 

Did either of you receive any connection to your head injuries for a central/mixed/complex sleep apnea?

I understand that you are seeking guidance and insight.  I would suggest that you file an appeal to BVA so it is about time you start looking for an attorney. Even if your appeal goes to the CAVC your attorney can instruct you on those procedures or direct you to another attorney.

2 hours ago, pete992 said:

I understand that you are seeking guidance and insight.

I'm not looking for guidance on this issue from these users or others, I'm hoping to establish that previous precedents exist because my searching has nearly run dry. I have found multiple precedents that deny OSA as a secondary connection to TBI and hint that a CSA would be in favor, however, I cannot find any citations that reverse an opinion that CSA is not likely a secondary connection to TBI. This brought me to a search here, and the closest evidence I would possibly come by are in graveyard threads with inactive users. I'm sorry if this action is inappropriate in this community and I will cease and desist if that is the case.

3 hours ago, pete992 said:

it is about time you start looking for an attorney

Unfortunately, this denial would not have brought any new rating or backpay, so it would be a waste of money at the time. My fear is that my Central Sleep Apnea will have impacts on other areas in my body later in life and I would like to have some assurance. 

If I am misusing this community site, please let me know. I'm not trying to be a nuisance, I have just been excited to see the knowledge and wisdom here and I hope I can be able to contribute to other vet's claims from my own experiences.

Thank you so much @pete992

I really do appreciate the battle buddies on this site, so my intention here is to maintain or improve the high quality that exists here!

As for the CSA, I will do whatever I can to get it SC bc if the apnea were to kill me in my sleep, my wife would revive me just to say "I told you so" 😆

@pete992 I got the denial letter today. Even though the decision was dated March 18th, they somehow did not get my DBQ and physician's notes that were sent on March 5th. So, a supplemental claim will be on it's way and we shall try again!