VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva

NeedHelp91

Question

Good evening,

I have a question about CHAMPVA. After 10 years, I received notification today that my DIC claim has been granted. The notification also states I am eligible to apply for CHAMPVA. I have looked at the CHAMPVA website and see that it states "it takes approximately six weeks after we get your package until you get your CHAMPVA identification card and related materials." Uh huh. While it does only state 6 weeks...I was thinking the sooner I started the process the better.

In the application section, it shows the original CHAMPVA application and one to submit if you have another insurance provider. I am not eligible for Medicare.

I am currently employed and have health insurance through my job with a very high deductible. However, after 15 years my position is being dissolved due to budget cuts in September. If I apply for CHAMPVA now (while I also still have insurance through my job) will I be able to update it so that I have only CHAMPVA insurance (if that makes sense) when I no longer have coverage through my job? Or is there some benefit to waiting to start the CHAMPVA application process (when I no longer have insurance through my job) that I am missing?

Does anyone have experience having CHAMPVA and another insurance provider....and then transitioning to only CHAMPVA?

Any advise is much appreciated!

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

yes. my spouse has it. it is secondary to your insurance. unless you have medicare then medicare is primary.

J

NeedHelp91,

Do not wait to start the Champva application process. It is great insurance coverage. It is simple to update when you lose your employer sponsored insurance. My wife just updated her's this week when she called Champva and advised them she no longer had BCBS insurance as of July 1, 2015. You can call Champva at 1-800-733-8387 anytime to notify Champva of changes regarding your other health insurance. It is a fairly simple process. You can also complete and submit VA form 10-7959c to Champva to notify them of changes in your other health insurance coverage.

A side note: If Champva will be your only insurance providing prescription coverage, you will become eligible for Champva's "Meds by Mail" program. Since my wife dropped her BCBS insurance, she has Medicare (part A & part B) and Champva. Her medicare coverage does not provide prescription coverage so she is eligible for Champva's "Meds by Mail" program as of the date she dropped her BCBS coverage. The "Meds by Mail" program provides prescriptions free of charge delivered by mail to your home. No copays and the prescriptions can be refilled every 90 days.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

My spouse uses ChampVA for her primary and has a Selman supplement that covers the 25% that Champva don't cover,and its sure helps beings my spouse has a lot of disability Issues & not qualified for Medicare only (61) still waiting on SSD to be approved.

She had been going to the VAMC here in Dallas for years for healthcare, she had triple heart by pass and Back Surgery,& seizures & was in current treatment for osteoporosis getting the IV drip treatments for her Vitamin D and she had one IV-drip (they do the IV-drips once a year) for three years suppose to help strengthen her bones and was currently seeing the Ecohdime <ms clinics & being treated for Sleep Apnea (has c-pap from VAMC) & for Neuropathy & around last fall Oct /Nov All the VAMC clinics were closed to her all but her PCP Doc, She can get some medications like heart meds and pain meds but that's it with the VAMC.

It sure put us in a bind getting cut off of mid treatment like that...we had no choice and had to get the supplement insurance and we also got the Delta Dental program through ChampVA. for my spouse.

I use VAMC for all my health care(currently) but sure thinking bout getting me some private insurance it may save my life or at least pro-long it the way VA is doing things.

If it ain't one thing its another around this household.

..................Buck

I

Edited by Buck52

Thank you to all for the replies and additional information about CHAMPVA. I printed, completed, and plan on mailing the application tomorrow to start the process.

I am still sifting through all of the information online, but I am now eligible for CHAMPVA due to my DIC claim (originating in 2006) being granted (this year). I understand some of the education benefits (still working on reading all of this) for dependents can be retroactive. We have children (twins) that were 14 when my husband passed. They turned 24 this year so are longer eligible for the coverage as I understand it. However, I was wondering...is there any sort of retroactive CHAMPVA benefits? With his sudden passing and having really no savings at that time, I just could not afford health insurance for all of us at that time. My son has a rare form of Type 1 diabetes that requires several forms of insulin injections and close monitoring...so many dr appointments. He has insurance now through his employer...however we are still paying the bills bit by bit from back then. I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. And, if yes, any idea on what VA forms this would include or where it would be best to search for them? I tried finding this on the VA website, but did not have any luck....However, from my experience you have to fight for everything...so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't easy to find.

Thank you again for your assistance. I appreciate it!

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta can help you with DIC and possibly help you about your kids ages as for as school if this all is attributed to your hubbys SC death, there's a form you need to send asap I don't know the Form No. but Ms berta will.

However I am not sure with this, Ms berta is an expert on DIC Claims.

..................Buck