VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

you need to let your C & P examiner or Audiologist Know you have constant sounds inside your head (''in my ears you think'') and it drives you crazy you( need this documented.)

I would not say it comes and goes...say its constant. tinnitus is constant & sometimes its masked by certain everyday sounds and you don't realize your hearing it.

.......................Buck

Edited by Buck52

So it seems from the replies so far, as long as I describe that I hear the ringing in my ears quite often and that it definitely affects my life, which it does and it has, I should at least receive the 10% for tinnitus, since the determination is subjective and that the tinnitus is from my combat in OEF and that I have a combat action badge on my dd214 as proof?

I know for mine, I had hearing tests which showed hearing loss, for which I was rated 0%. However, on the tinnitus, a lot of depended on the ringing/white noise that I was able to describe and the frequency during the examination. A key also is if you were in an MOS/AFSC, etc. that would subject you to extreme noise, such as a firing ranges, aircraft flightlines, engine rooms, etc.

I don't think that they performed any particular "test" on me for tinnitus, but through the totality of the hearing tests, my interview and my career field, and the frequency of and resulting effects of the tinnitus, were what the VA used to justify my 10% rating for this condition.

Mark

ArmyVet,

Look up FAST LETTER 10-35, it has all MOS/Career Fields that were/ may have been exposed to noise. there are three stages-severe, moderate and non existant (or something along those lines). If your MOS was in the severe to moderate range this letter will add weight to your claim but, depending on your examiner, is not a slam dunk win. Take a copy of the Fast Letter to your C&P exam and show the examiner your MOS in the table have them make copies and add it to your file and maybe even submit a copy yourself to ensure it gets into your C-file. As mentioned above tell the examiner how the tinnitus affects you daily whether its during the day or even at night.

Good Luck

Scotter

Why is there another Thread about dang Tinnitus? We all know that most don't have it, but seek Compensation for it, as the VA grants it most of the time. And for the ones that have it, all the VA will do is look to see where served and What MOS, and ask a few questions, That's It. Sorry for the Rant, but man I am tired of Vets that post these simple questions, over and over again. Good luck

• HadIt.com Elder

It took me a few years to get 10% for my tinnitus and 3 different VA Audiologist and Private Audiologist, seems that tinnitus is not caused by hearing loss, its only associated with hearing loss & noise induced hearing loss bilateral, because its perceived to becoming from inside the ears. when actually its inside the head.

My tinnitus drives me nuts at times and keeps me from sleeping.

I don't think a veterans is lying when he reports these sounds in his head.

There are'' mask'' machines that help some veterans & some treatments but nothing seems to help mask my tinnitus

Tinnitus is not a cause of hearing loss. It may point to issues with the ear itself or the hearing loss may be a normal symptom of aging. There are many conditions which may affect the inner ear and cause hearing loss. These range from hardening of the bones in the middle ear to inner ear tumors. Constant loud noise or an extreme noise incident may cause the nerves which transmit sound to the brain to be damaged. This will cause hearing loss as well. The tinnitus will generally occur after the hearing loss happens and will not directly cause loss of hearing.

Tinnitus in itself is not a serious medical issue. It may indicate other medical issues and a doctor should be consulted. There are many causes of tinnitus and there are treatments for tinnitus available. While it does not cause hearing problems, the loss of hearing may enable tinnitus to manifest. A doctor should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of tinnitus.

I wish I didn't have my dang tinnitus. it sucks!.

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52