lcurle

Random Checks

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been getting phone calls from their RO or VAMC and "checking in" to see if you're doing OK and asking specific information about daily life? I get 1 a month at random times as well, all origination from my VAMC in Wichita.

Cant say as I have ever got a call... Its been 7 years.......

Hamslice

I would be very careful about answering any questions unless you absolutely know that you are talking to the VA. You should ask for a number then call the VA 1+800 number to confirm that the call is coming from the VA. There are lots of reported cases of phishing scams preying on veterans.

You made a great point. People dont trust VA, for some very good reasons. The term is "integrity of intent"...we dont know why they are calling and, based on past experience, they probably have evil intentions. This trust issue with VA is a very big deal...Vets dont want to tell their docs what is going on...for some good reasons as they use stuff against us.

I do have VA docs I trust, but others have to earn it. I want to believe that VA docs are there "for" us, not "for" the VA conglomerate. VA docs should not have competing interests with the interests of their patients. However, I think docs are pressured to give evidence to deny, that is, they have an interest other than the patient. This is wrong.

2 people like this

Either way i would be wary.

1) Its actually the VA. I would be wary if they ask "how are you felling today" etc. I would jsut direct them to your Primary Care at the VA. dont say you are great, thanks. who knows how that could end up in the C File as showing improvement. maybe they call every month and that is a sign of "sustained improvement". i wouldnt put it past them.

2) Its a phishing scam. Try to get you recognize the number as the VA after innocuous calls then come back and call, ask you about current disability rate, tell you you are up for a ratins increase, but they need your social to make sure its you. then next thing you know a brand new car was bought i nyour name.

Either way I would tell them to direct any questions to be sent to your HOR in letter format.

1 person likes this

I have gotten a call from the RO before letting me know about a current contention and asking if I wanted to continue pursuing one I had recently added since multiple MH DX's won't help as they only go by whichever is highest but the number was a VA number