VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retro Active Voc Rehab

Rate this question

cubuff16

Question

Thanks in advance for any advice!

My question:

I was recently given a 40% rating for degenerative disc diease in lower back with sciatica in both legs after a simple shoe tying incident lead to the discovery of 3 bulging discs and degenerative disc diease. Prior to my SC rating, I had completed a masters degree and I want to know if this would be covered under voc rehab based the background below:

Background:

My job prior to completing my masters degree involved lots of heavy lifting and physical field labor. I love the industry I work in and managerial positions are generally held by those with many years of experience and/or a masters degree. After experiencing several years of continued back pain and discomfort from field work, my wife and I decided that I should complete a masters degree and seek a managerial/office role. The completion of my masters degree has allowed me to obtain a managerial position with the same company and greatly reduce the continued back pain and discomfort I previously experience.

Ratings background:
I was originally given a 0% SC rating for my back injury 17 years ago when I was working on my undergraduate degree, did not have medical insurance and needed medical care. I did not go through a C&P 15 years ago, but just showed up at a local VA facility needing stitches. During this visit, the VA apparently gave me a service connection for a back injury I suffered during active duty. It was 16 years later when my simple shoe tying incident prompted my regular doctor to ask if I had ever injured my back, that I sought VA care and found out I needed a C&P evaluation.

I would like to seek retroactive voc rehab for my masters degree. Given the above data; is this possible?

Thank you so much in advance for your replies!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Tuff sell but you never know. Throw it up against the wall and see what sticks. Nothing ventured, etc, right.

At the very least, try the FDC route with whatever Evidence of Record you might have. If the VA decides more Evidence is necessary, your FDC will become a Reg Axx Claim. You'll at least know what you need to work on.

As far as Voc Rehab Retro for a Masters, let us know how that works out. Seems like a giant stretch claims wise but who knows.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Thanks Philip and Gastone!

I know it a long shot, but my reasoning is legit. I just didn't know it at the time I began my masters program.

I did submit my original benefits application before I graduated and was awarded retro-active pay back to that date, so I am hoping the overlap would apply.

I will update with more information as available....

Thanks again!