bolt_vet23

Gulf War Registry Exam Tomorrow

12 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I'm going in tomorrow for the Gulf War exam, but not as part of a C&P claim. Does anyone know what I can expect, should I bring any records, are there DBQs or other documentation that I can review prior? The Environmental Coordinator from the VA has been absolutely no help and just to get the Coordinator to respond to weeks of phone call and emails I had to contact the Public Affairs office at the hospital.

Appreciate the assistance.

Here's a link on the exam itself:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/benefits/registry-exam.asp

From what I read, it appears that it is intended to help identify problems. It says the exam is based on your recollection, not military records. It might be worth bringing your records, but don't expect the physician to accept copies or go through them.

Here's a Hadit link from a couple of years ago that might help answer additional questions:

Thanks, Vync. I've been up and down the VA's site for the GW exam, but am looking for specific details as to what to expect tomorrow. I've seen quite a few posts about the GW exam, some good and some bad, so I just want to make sure that I'm prepared for the exam.

Hey Bolt,

How did the exam go? Don't need the specifics, but was curious about the overall experience. Was it like the two links I provided or did they just give you a quick once-over?

Hey Vync,

Turns out that it wasn't the exam, but only the registry part that was mostly filling out questionnaires that a teenager with access to my records could have done in 15 minutes. The actual exam is apparently conducted when you file a C&P exam. The doc asked some questions, took blood pressure and checked breathing. I was in and out of the "exam" portion in 15 minutes. In short, the Gulf War registry is a complete waste of time since the VA already has the info on the veterans, but are too lazy to consolidate it in a logical manner.

Geez, that stinks! I figured it would be more like an annual physical along with extra attention given toward special conditions related to Gulf service. I was curious because I am trying to talk my father into doing the Agent Orange registry. I wonder if he will be in for the same abbreviated visit... :wacko: