VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Hello And A Question

Rate this question

Old Soul

Question

Hey y'all! I have been reading this site for a while now and finally took the time to register. The posts I have read on this site have been immensely helpful and I hope by joining the ranks that I can help pay some of that back to other vets. I am an avid outdoorsman who lives in Central NC. Married (for now at least), 2 kids, 60% SC, SSDI (for the same issues I have applied for IU), movie lover and whole bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now. Warning - long post!

I'd like to post a timeline since I got out of the Navy in 1994 that will hopefully provide enough info for someone to help put my OCD brain at rest. Here goes:

1994 - Honaroably discharged after an accident that caused me to have 9 1/2 hrs of brain surgery. No rating - just wanted out after the long ordeal I had been through.

1994 - 2005 - A blur. As the Grateful Dead said "Livin' on reds, vitmin C, and cocaine". Got sober from crack and booze in Feb of 2005. This is where the depression etc started to hit me bad. I had been self medicating since the surgery. Even my VA shrink is convinced that my issues stem from them playing with my computer...

2003 - Hospitalized twice for what I now know to be panic attacks. (Documented in medical records and with VA)

2003 - 2009 - Suffered through anxiety, depression, anger, headaches, dizziness, and a bunch of other crap.

2009 - Lost my 5th job in as many months. Went to VA and enrolled healthcare services so I would have access to medical and mental care. Was advised to go and see about compensation. I was awarded 60% and was surprised and thrilled!

Jan. 20011 - Applied for S/C for anxiety, etc. - denied due to lack of evidence

Oct. 2012 - Went to see DAV officer to see if they could help. They helped me file a claim for IU, Anxiety, Increased headaches, "mental condition", and dizziness.

March 2013 - Claim denied.

April 2013 - Hired an attorney and filed NOD.

Sept. 2013 - Awarded SSDI for the same conditions listed above.

25 June 2015 - Received letter from VA that a large payment had been authorized for my attorney (Good news!) because of a decision made on 5 June 2015.

1 July 2015 - Received letter from attorney that he had gotten same letter that I did and though he did not have SOC, had a "good guess" of what happened and what I would be receiving in back pay.

- Appeals page on eBennies is down for maintenance as I am sure you all know. (GRRRR!)

20 July - Spoke to VA rep and was told that my appeal was awaiting authorization and had been since 25 June. Rep told me that there was an estimated close time of 23 August 2015.

24 July 2015 - Daily check on eBennies for a change in my AB8. I notices that all of the items in my appeal are now listed as new claims with an expected completion date between 01 Aug. 2015 and 22 Oct. 2016!

Now I am nervous and confused and you are probably tired of reading and asking yourself why you just wasted 10 minutes doing so :) If you have made it this far, thanks! Anyone got any ideas besides the VA system, eBennies especially, stinks and is way too overloaded?

Welcome Old Soul,

Sounds like you just got on the VA bus, going down the road to no where! VA just up to the same ol' thing.

Old Soul,

Welcome to the Hadit family and thank you for your service.

GP

Relax, nothing happens fast.

They are probably making sure everything is air tight.

I suspect a large retro payment is coming.

Met a veteran whom once was jumped by fellow sailors in San Diego.

He stayed in the hospital for 7 months.

He is service connected at 100%.