VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

patmend2

Question

Hello Everyone,

After being approved for Voc Rehab and driving 35 miles back and forth to the VR&E office, I was recently sent a letter denying me for these benefits. Overall, it was a TERRIBLE experience. I felt like she was patronizing me each time i walked into her office. Despite taking the tests, giving her my transcripts and everything going smoothly(i thought), it seemed like each time I met with her their were new reasons to string me along not give me an IWRP. One time it was the testing, the next time it was that she wasnt prepared. I almost felt as if the counselor Allison, Didn't want me to be a part of the program(despite being approved and being entitled for the VR&E benefits). I felt defeated and even went as far as calling the regional office in Philadelphia. That proved to not work as the associate VRO told me that "my counselor knows my situation and file best, she should be able to point me in the right direction."

Can anyone else share their experience (good, bad or ugly) and interactions with VOC Rehab getting(or TRYING TO get) the benefits we are entitled to in the VR&E program?

Thanks,

Pat

For me I never had the GI Bill, I was after the GI Bill you had and the one they have now. We had to put money in in order to have a GI Bill, it was half my check back then for the first year and I was not able to afford it (at least I thought so). What little college I have is self funded and at this time I am not wanting to go back to college. 

When I move and retire next year I will have to check into the ILP (I know nothing about it). I will see what if anything I may be eligible for or if I really even need it. The only thing I will really need and I hope the house has one is a pool, I need to do low impact exercises because of my back and legs. Other than that I don't need anything at this time.

Voc Rehab is largely a farce. One portion of this is the ILP program. Apparently Alex did some research on this and found several RO's who had approved "zero" Vets for ILP. They denied them all.

• HadIt.com Elder

I got ILP in Dallas but it took 3 years and 4 Vet Councillors one approved 2 Veterans in 18 months. I really think it is unfair to take 100% Veterans who know they can't work to go through the basic programs that are used to find jobs for Veterans. Using ILP and a Grant I got my bathroom remolded with walkin shower, 2 new high toilets, second bathroom painted and a pair of temperpedic beds that cost VA 8,000 bucks. I was supposed to get a new HVAC System but my VA Councilor said he would not approve it on his watch.

That said I think that the ILP offers Veterans an opportunity to get set up so that they can stay in their homes if they still have one after waiting for VA to get off their collective asses.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am in the Dallas Region now , but when I went through Voc Rehab we lived close to canton Tx my Voc-Rehab was in Tyler Tx ''was paid travel pay''

I had a great experience in Tyler the Counselor's were very nice and welcome me and were all very veteran friendly. The 1st Sgt was cool.

Unfortunately

There must be difference in the VOC-Rehab programs..it all starts with the Attitude of the Counselor's.

sorry you had this problem, I'd ask to see a different Voc-Rehab

jmo

.......................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

pete53 what do you mean high toilet's?

I Wish we could have got help with a new HAVC SYSTEM we just had to have ours replaced and making payments 36 of them eh! we made 24 so for but its putting a strain finacial on us since my spouse had to stop working (became disabled). I never checked that out?

It took about 3 months for me getting ILP and was sent a lot of the things I needed.,

Also my counselor was very helpful in a C&P I Had that was cancelled the Day I went to it 30 minutes early, after they (VA) sent me a letter saying I was a ''no show''

...................Buck

Edited by Buck52