TALON II FE

Kidney Problems

16 posts in this topic

I am guessing this is the right place for this. So, I had to do lab work leading up to my first appointment with a VA primary care doc, scheduled for this afternoon. According to the labs, my GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE.PREDICTED is 73.5, which, according to what I can find, puts me firmly in Stage Two Kidney disease. At 44, with absolutely no family history of any kidney issues. Sweet, right? Also, even though I have been taking 1500iu daily of D3, my Calcium was just above the low threshold, as I have read others are dealing with, as was my potassium even though I eat bananas like I swing from a tree. Cholesterol is also very bad, will require medication. I am 6 ft 180, no diabetes in my family and Glucose is good, conscious of what I eat and all of that, etc. This was another big letdown. Has anyone else encountered kidney problems related to chemical exposure, burn pits, etc?

TALON II FE

Were you exposed to anything in the service that could have caused this? Three years ago, I had an MRI to check some of my back and spine conditions that resulted from being in a Tank Accident and Explosion early in my career. Anyway, when I received the results of the MRI, the doctor's office called me in for an apt and was very serious? They said. we found three very large cysts on your kidneys and it could be cancer? Thankfully, it was not (but still could occur someday which scares me)...but I was exposed in my career in the Middle East to some nasty stuff to include, Burned Depleted Uranium, High Lead in local soil, Burn Pits Smoke and Ecoli Poisoning in the Camp Water System (no one knew until the Camp Commander posted a notice we were exposed already for a year) in Camp Doha Kuwait after Desert Storm. For me, I've had High Blood Pressure and Cardiac Issues ever since that point and think that's were it originated. So, hopefully you were not exposed to any significant environment risks which may have injured your kidney's in the past?. My concern, is that that stuff takes years and years before it manifests itself and I fear that is what may be happening with Vets like you and I now? Take Care,,,,Rootbeer22

Edited by rootbeer22

My husband was diagnosed with a kidney disease several years ago. Out of the blue, no history, etc. Ultimately, after much fighting, it was service connected to Camp Lejeune water contamination. He was awarded 80% for it.

Kate

Recently found cysts on my kidneys after a MRI for my back, but were brushed off as "Too small to be of concern"

I was everywhere in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as surrounding areas, as an aviator. I tried to be careful with the water, when I had a choice. I was on a Russian nuclear waste site at K2 in Uzbekistan, flying missions while staging from there. I flew primarily out of Balad for a couple deployments, so major burn pit issues there. I had a hydraulic line rupture at Al Sahra, I inhaled a lot of it trying to evacuate passengers (causing me multiple sinus surgeries so far; I think this could be the culprit or a combination of exposures). I was bathed in JP-8 many times as well. It could really have something to do with any of these, I imagine.

I saw the VA Doc today, seemed like a good man and a good Doc. He immediately told me to keep my TriCare Doc as my primary and stop in annually. He said he can use VA or Tricare and does not use VA. What happened to my "world class medical care", lol. He said he could not even proscribe my Lyrica or order it without an 'act of congress'. What is worrisome to me is that the nurse told me multiple times before I saw the doc that I should (wink, wink) see the VA for all SC issues. Well, that's all of them after 20 years, so where does that leave me? I barely even was able to discuss a few very basic issues with the doctor. I am not sure which way to go now.

The Doc also said that the VA doesn't worry about kidney issues until it drops below #GMR of 60. That is the threshold for Stage III. He said to take my results to the next appointment family practitioner thru Tricare, which is tomorrow. A hint, maybe? Maybe I can see about imagery at least based off of these lab results. I should also find out about my brain CT scan and shoulder xray at my appointment tomorrow.

After I retired in 2010 from the USAF the VA found two masses on my right Kidney one was stage 2 RCC. Had to have a partial nephrectomy not by the VA since I have private insurance (federal employee). Been low on Vitamin D and calcium. Anyways I was deployed to Balad many times in aircraft maintenance at the south end and that deaded burn pit smoke was always so bad like a fog bank on the flightline and sometimes it literly snowed ash on us falling everywhere. I remember all the crap they put in that pit from enemy body parts to anything toxic that would burn. I really felt bad for the junior enlisted stuck hand tossing the light stuff like soiled uniforms etc and dumping all the big stuff into the pit. I wouldn't worry so much on JP-8 I worked around that for many, many years outside of skin issues like demititus etc it's not as bad as the old JP-4 that had Benzine in it (bad stuff). High pressure Vaporized Hydraulic fluid is no joke that's bad if you inhale it or it's injected into the tissues of your exposed skin I worked around that stuff daily and always seen the cautions in the hydrualic job guides on it. Hopefully it was annotated in your SMRs on that post deployment medical questionare we all did before you left and reviewed by the Flight Surgeon. I know latter on we did those questionares online after the AEF what a joke and if you marked something bad some supposed doctor would call you and follow up before they sent you to the Base Clinic. Wish we could get real care at the VA but that just a dream it is what it is.