VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Am Not Incompetent. How Do I Convince The Va?

Rate this topic

<<<Severe anger outbursts, i was fired from my last two jobs for assaulting people. The last one had a brain aneurysm and was in a coma for a couple of days. That's not the person I want to be, fortunately, I was able to remove myself from the public with the help of 100% disability. My wife deals with my road rage and memory issues.>>>

Seriously? You have guns in the house? Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you enjoy regular excursions from the home and experience road rage, it doesn't sound as though you " have removed yourself from the public". Uncontrolled anger is a bomb waiting to go off. With that sure knowledge, owning firearms is a guaranteed recipe for disaster in your circumstances. I sure do not mean to preach but numerous news stories recently show the fallacy that some adjudicated with a MDD may still be fit to keep and bear arms. Each Vet is a case study in itself. There is no 'one size fits all'.

Saying you have never used a firearm in anger is akin to saying you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen but have never had a fire...yet. I used firearms in anger many times during the war. Each time it became easier and after the first or second time I quit vomiting afterwards. Pretty soon I was able to joke about it with my buddies. That's not the person I wanted to be either and it led to my being kicked out of the military. I suggest you re-evaluate your circumstances and decide whether ownership of guns is in your best interest. If you insist because you live in a high-crime environment, perhaps moving to a less-threatening locale would be advisable.

I feel I would be remiss if I didn't speak up. I'm actually surprised I am the first. Pounding on someone so hard that it leads to aneurysm or coma is only a very short step away from accidentally killing them. When that happens, I assure you your guns will be removed from the home---along with you. We're here to help you. That 'help' cannot, nor should it, condone your anger issues or advice on how to retain ownership of your firearms. I do wish you the best on this in spite of what it may sound like, sir.

I have guns because it is my second amendment right

I suppose putting details of my information on here is like asking for someone to scrutinize my life, even though you did ask me.

How about I add more detail.

I was security. A guy was harassing people at the front door. I told him to leave, he told me to xxxx off. eventually he left, but he came back with a friend. I met him in the parking lot and asked him to leave, he raised his had and i elbowed his jaw. He went unconscious while he was standing and his head bounced off the parking lot. I was charged with aggravated assault, but It was dropped because I had 10 witnesses to support my story. I'm 6'3" 300lbs and I'm healthy. In fact last week i dead-lifted 610lbs.

What I, and most vets consider a fight is way beyond what a guy at a bar would consider a fight. They think they will have a fun story, but that's not the case.

asknod you say you have used firearms in anger many times and you and you were actually kicked out of the military, and yet you are interested in "old guns that go rat-a-tat-tat."

That's pretty xxxxxxx hypocritical. Maybe you should evaluate your own situation before you shit your opinion onto the internet.

• Founder

to original question of fiduciary - if someone is helping you with your bills even just keeping you organized can be flag for them to set up a fiduciary, it happened to me and i got bergmann and moore vetlawyers.com to handle it.

on the anger issue and guns, i know i may get blasted by folks, but if you are anger is such that you cannot control it and since you got fired from 2 jobs for assault, it seems like it is. then no personally i don't think you should have guns and the va will probably feel the same way. like asknod said each veteran is different but given the severity of your symptoms - well if you could control your anger then it wouldn't be a problem, but that does not seem to be the case.

i'm loath to strip any person of their right to have a weapon, but when they have a history of violence and have trouble controlling that anger - then it's really for their safety and the safety of others around them and i have to put safety first, i do not want anyone to have easy access to a gun if they have feelings/thoughts of suicide or homicide - rights or not

Thanks for answering the original question. Any information helps.

I don't understand why you could possibly presume to assess my competency off two sentences. You have no clear understanding of my ability to control myself, but you feel some need to comment on my right to bear arms.

How about you provide general information on what I can expect from the VA and you trust that I can assess myself better than a stranger who only knows two very condensed sentences about me.

I don't need to be insulted when I am asking for information.