VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I want to talk about Agoraphobia

Rate this question

SemperAye

Question

Currently I am awarded 50% for Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, and GAD. I have read the rating criteria for both the 50% rating, and the 70% rating, and I believe I have a mixture of both.

What concerns me is that in the rating criteria's there is no mention of Agoraphobia, only housebound status that pays you more but doesn't increase your rating %. I really think the VA should add Agoraphobia to the 70% rating criteria, because not all Agoraphobics are 100% housebound. VA therapist will come to your house and help you with Agoraphobia, starting with stepping outside your door, then a few feet away, then do the yard, sidewalk etc, after this you are no longer "housebound." This has been the case with me as I am no longer bound to my house, but still meet criteria for Agoraphobia because I will only go so far from home and will not take public transit of any type.

Does Agoraphobia help at all to bump up %'s? I think it should! I meet just about everything on the 70%, except current suicidal thoughts, but it is documented in my past that I did have those thoughts...so I'm not sure if that counts at all. How does the VA expect veterans with Agoraphobia to work a job until they are free from it!? The 70% criteria does have:

"obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities"

That does sound alot like agoraphobic avoidance...my doctor did write down that this was "seriously affecting my ADL's (activities of daily living)." 

I would like to hear from anyone who was 50% and got 70%, or was awarded 70% for panic disorder with agoraphobia the first time, and are you working? How did you free yourself?

Thanx!

And thank you for serving! 

Edited by SemperAye

Are you working?  My intuitive response is that you probably should apply for TDIU and housebound if you have Agoraphobia, since this does not appear to be compatable with working.   I mean, gee, Agoraphobia generally means you are afraid to leave your home, so how are you going to do that and work?  If you are working, and your Agoraphobia does not seem to affect that, then that could make sense, too.  Some people seem to "live" at work, and are more comfortable there than their own home.   

While I have not been diagnosed as such, I beleive I have symptoms of Agoraphobia.  I hate being in situations where I can not hear what is going on, that is, any type of crowd.  Somebody could yell "fire" and I would not even know what they said.  I am SC for hearing loss, and "f" is one of the letters I pretty much can not hear.  I can understand the vowels, but consanants "P", "C", "G"   "T", "B", "D", "V", and "Z" are often confused.  It greatly raises my anxiety level when I can not hear what is said.  Did you ever wonder what people who are speaking spanish or chinese are saying?  Are they saying, "Lets hit this guy over the head and take his money.  YOu distract him, and I will hit him over the head with this hammer."  

Of course, in almost every case they are not saying that.  Still, I have a fear of being taken advantage of and harmed because I can not hear, in a crowd.  

If you are NOT in the appeal period (one year after VARO NOD) and you do NOT have CUE, then apply for an increase.  If you are in the appeal period, you could appeal the decision for a higher rating.  

I recommend ordering your C file, and see if your doc has all your symptoms listed.  If he does not, then ask him to list all your symptoms.  If he refuses, then you may need another doc, since Mental disorders are rated on symptoms.   There are 4 ways to get an increase:  

1.  Apply for an increase.

2.  Apply for TDIU if not working.

3.  Appeal the decision if in the appeal period.

4.  Apply for CUE if there are errors in the decision which meet the Cue standard of review, and are outcome determinative.   Most of the time, CUE only applies to the effective date.  A disagreement in the percentage rating is almost never CUE, since this is a judgement call which is debatable.  (A CUE error has to be undebatable) 

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet, if your disability keeps you home because you cant understand what people are saying  and you fear from it because you can't understand,& this keeps you from getting out? you should request HouseBound.

jmo

..............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Test Test Test  Text Size

Are you working?  My intuitive response is that you probably should apply for TDIU and housebound if you have Agoraphobia, since this does not appear to be compatable with working.   I mean, gee, Agoraphobia generally means you are afraid to leave your home, so how are you going to do that and work?  If you are working, and your Agoraphobia does not seem to affect that, then that could make sense, too.  Some people seem to "live" at work, and are more comfortable there than their own home.   

While I have not been diagnosed as such, I beleive I have symptoms of Agoraphobia.  I hate being in situations where I can not hear what is going on, that is, any type of crowd.  Somebody could yell "fire" and I would not even know what they said.  I am SC for hearing loss, and "f" is one of the letters I pretty much can not hear.  I can understand the vowels, but consanants "P", "C", "G"   "T", "B", "D", "V", and "Z" are often confused.  It greatly raises my anxiety level when I can not hear what is said.  Did you ever wonder what people who are speaking spanish or chinese are saying?  Are they saying, "Lets hit this guy over the head and take his money.  YOu distract him, and I will hit him over the head with this hammer."  

Of course, in almost every case they are not saying that.  Still, I have a fear of being taken advantage of and harmed because I can not hear, in a crowd.  

Yup. I haven't worked for a year, I was fired due to attendance issues because of panic attacks, and breaking out with soars in my mouth due to the stress from my work at home call center job. I gave the va this evidence, but do not qualify for IU without a bump in my rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

From your symptoms you should be 100% the VA should increase your rating. If a decision is less than a year old appeal it and specifically ask for 100%. AS far as Agoraphobia since you have it and if you get 100% the VA must consider an SMC S Award. Usually they don't you have to request it and than they try to give you a later Effective date.

Good Luck

I am 100% for Panic w Agoraphobia 30% for Pes Planus (Flat Feet) and SMC S Award. Panic Disorder Nov 1993 and my S Award about 5 years ago.