VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Preparation For Decision

Rate this question

Markay2k

Question

I hope I posted this in the right area……..Ok so I see in E Benefits that my claim went from gathering evidence to Preparation For Decision.  The C&P was done.  I now know that I should have requested my C file before.  However I did not.  Should I ask for a copy now or wait until the decision is made?  Also what is this I read about two C files one at BVA and the other somewhere else.  Please explain this to me and please advise on wait or request it now?

Thank You!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do not request the C file until your claim is complete, as you wont get the C File for a while anyways, some Vets have waited up to a year. My claim is in the Prep for Decision phase as well. Good luck and keep us posted

I hope I posted this in the right area……..Ok so I see in E Benefits that my claim went from gathering evidence to Preparation For Decision.  The C&P was done.  I now know that I should have requested my C file before.  However I did not.  Should I ask for a copy now or wait until the decision is made?  Also what is this I read about two C files one at BVA and the other somewhere else.  Please explain this to me and please advise on wait or request it now?

Thank You!

How far are you from your R.O.? You can walk into your R.O. without an appointment and walk out with a copy of your C&P exam. You may even be able to walk out with a copy of your entire file. It took me less than 20 minutes to get a C&P at the Los Angeles R.O. last week.

This is what i have put together to get your C-File.

As far as when to request it, I would have your 3288 ready (use the wording in the document i uploaded).  The day you get it in the mail I would send it our certified mail with return receipt. 

I submitted my request June 4.  it has been in gathering evidence since then (and also listed as past due).  I believe my current claim is holding it up but it can take that long or longer, have heard horror stories.  In the last 5 year years i have moved to 3 different regions and 3 different VARO, VAHRO's etc so it may take longer for me.

I have not seen any documents to prove this, only opinions and experiences of others, but i believe since the VA now classifies a request for claim file as a separate "Claim" and since if you file multiple claims over a period they will combine them all into one decision, if you have a claim outstanding OR file for one while the claim file is requested, you have to wait for  ALL of them to be done to get answers on any one, your current claim would be held up until the c-file request is finished or vice versa.

Hadit upload c file.pdf

Thank You USMC_VET I will have the 3288 ready to mail out.  I want to thank everyone else also!!  I called the 1-800 number today to check on my service connection claim.  I was told it was in the preparation for notification stage.   They said it was completed by one person and now had to be checked by a second person?   So why does a second person have to also look at it if it is complete?

Thank You,

Mark

I received a call from the appeals team 'coach' that is handling my remand. I was told that the second set of eyes is to make sure the file is complete before issuing a decision. In my case, they were waiting for some treatment records from late 2004 from my VAMC. Yours could be different. Either way, it is a safety net prior to issuing a formal decision. In my opinion, that's a good thing. I'm not happy with the amount of time it has taken, but the coach reassured me it wouldn't be too long before I received a decision. That was about three weeks ago. I pinged him again to check the status but have not heard back from him yet. I'll follow up once he answers my status question.