VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

sc chap35 no retro

laurel

Question

I'm confused, my husband file 11/2005 died 1/2006 lung cancer. Bva approved recently, but denied accrued benefits because when I received letter of denial I thought that was the end of the claim. I was told lung cancer was not a illness that was not observed by V.A. Later in sept. 2007 I needed help and returned for some assistance and open dic claim. At that time I was told if lung cancer became one of the illnesses added it would be considered a Nehmer claim. In 2010 it became observered and I had an appeal filed since 2009. Since the bva decision I confused as to retro date, I was told initially it would be taken back to 2005 date. Now they are telling me I had 1 yr.from the time of death or denial..not sure, but I was raising children and my husband was dead @ 54 yrs. old. Even still I was told once sc was established it would go back to the time of claim. Now the bit of confusion I got in touch w/Nehmer people and was told its not a nehmer case. This was Vietnam, he was a medic, service buddies substaniated stops and duties, they were station in thailand. I thought if a claim was filed before 2010 it was considered a Nehmer. Now the claim is at AMC and waiting to be rated....death doesn't automatically denote 100%. I don't understand what's happening. The children granted chapter 35, I in foreclosure and this is a hardship, we have waited 9yrs now what? Can Berta reply if at all possible I'm a fan whose been reading her answers for a very longtime. Just got the courage to join and tired of trying to figure it all out.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I mentioned the REPS program and dont want to forget explaining it. I am sure many survivors  eligible for this benefit are never informed of what it is.

If you are eligible for this benefit, it could possibly be handled faster than the retro DIC claim you are waiting for.

You said they have awarded the DIC.I am assuming the award for that might be all you need and hopefully if they are still determining the retro DIC that fact won’t hold this REPS app up.

I am not sure ,but someone at REPS could advise you on that.

I will try to find a contact number or email addy for them..

I think it took less than 6 weeks for me to receive this benefit. It was a five figure award.

There is no application deadline.

VA awarded me a direct service connected death in 2009, 15 years after my husband died.

The REPS application is online and might have been part of the DIC application you already filled out. In any event, it is best not to wait for VA to send you this form.

My C file , per the REPS man I dealt with, had a note to NOT send me the form.

He sent me the form and all I needed was basically, copy of my husband’s Death Certificate, Copy of the direct SC  death award letter from VA, proof of my child’s school attendance after age 16, and a copy of the SSA letter that terminated my Parent Benefit when she turned 16.

I don’t recall if the application calls for anything else.

My former vet reps didn’t have a clue on what this benefit was.

I bet many survivors are eligible for it but no one tells them about it.

There is discuss and more explanation of this benefit at the above link topic and also via a hadit search for REPS in our DIC forum.