VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to claim nerve damage

Rate this question

DD0351

Question

How it going I'm currently in the process of review an appeal for my back condition, I was denied for not having a diagnoses well I have a diagnoses of DDD so hopefully I get SC for back but I recently did a EMG test for nerve damage and they found nerve damage that was causing pain and numbness in my legs from my back from my disk to nerves.  How do I claim something as nerve damage and for what parts.  Thanks  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In my case, I filed for my back and radiculopathy (secondary to my back) at the same time. When I finally won SC years later (due to appeals), I had the same effective date for both conditions.

DD0351,

I recently filed for bilateral sciatica as secondary to my back condition. This past latewinter/early spring I went through an increase claim for my lower back. I received a bump from 10 to 40% for my back.  The examiner offered an MRI which I jumped all over. 

Even though my bump was tied to ROM, the MRI showed mild to severe narrowing of the neural foramina, increasing in severity from the L2/L3 down to the L5/S1.  Mri also showed DDD(which was first seen on x-ray while still on AD.) 

That MRI is my golden ticket, since it verifies and vindicates my claims of pain and numbness from my lower back through my toes. Which also wasmentioned a time or two in my STRs. 

Like these guys have already said, ya goats ta get your paper ducks all lined up.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

How it going I'm currently in the process of review an appeal for my back condition, I was denied for not having a diagnoses well I have a diagnoses of DDD so hopefully I get SC for back but I recently did a EMG test for nerve damage and they found nerve damage that was causing pain and numbness in my legs from my back from my disk to nerves.  How do I claim something as nerve damage and for what parts.  Thanks  

You can do it online through the eBenefits website, by mail, or at a VA regional office. More information on how to file a claim can be found here:http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/apply.asp

There is also part of the VA Benefits website that lists claims and compensation by symptom. Here you can find the kind of symptom you have and download the Disability Benefits Questionnaire for that particular symptom.

More information on the claims process for veterans here