VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

help on my IU q/a

Rate this question

DD0351

Question

IM currently helping my father file for IU, he currently 70% ptsd and 20 for knees

he is a teacher so they don't work the whole year and when they ask this question below its blank than says months or years. so im wondering how do i fill it in, its been affecting him since 2012  but recently had to stop in march 2015 docs orders but he only  just recently get disability this year and wanted to put in for IU, so it is confusing me, do i put how many months hes missed since 2012 or since 2015 this year when he was told to stop.  thanks sorry if im confusing but i dont know how to word it

question: How much time was lost from work due to your illness?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Put in what you think is best. The VA will contact his last employer for verification. If his "Earned Income," for the 12 month period immediately prior to his IU filing, is above $12,400 (under age 65) $11,400 (over 65), expect a IU Denial.

Then there is the "Education" problem, VA raters equate a college degree with an automatic ability to be employed in some form of "Sedentary" gainful employment earning at least $230.00 per week. A very low income threshold that results in a IU denial. All it takes is the Rater believing your Dad should be able to do "Sedentary work," IU Denied.

2 of my Nam Vet friends (college degrees both) used the VA Vocactional Rehabilitation Program to obtain, as I did as well, a Voc Rehab Denial Letter. This Denial Letter, completed by a VA professional Employment Councilor, is the "Evidence" needed to refute any type of possible "Sedentary Work" IU Denial.

Semper Fi

I'm no expert but I have heard that it is harder for Educated professionals to get IU. Does he have proof that he can not work a sedentary job....was he fired from the school? How long has he been out of work? Any disciplinary action taken against him due to his service connected disabilities that you have on file? There is always work from home jobs to, it will be hard to prove he couldn't do such a job unless for instance he is having continuous panic attacks throughout the day, and/or is violent and rude to people, history of quitting jobs etc.