VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New PTSD claim & c&p

Rate this question

Johnny12

Question

Hello all. 

I am new here.  

I have filed a new claim for PTSD and mdd.  In 1987 My very good friend hung himself in the barracks. 

I cut him down and did cpr to no avail.  I have the cid report to prove the stressor. 

I got out of the army the following month.  

Just 6 months after I got out I went to the va and reported that I was having suicidial thoughts and i couldn't sleep , I was angry and started drinking to sleep. I was admitted and diagnosed with adjustment disorder and reactive depression.  Since then I have been admitted 3 more times to the va psych center for my own suicide attempts. These were in 1995,2005, and I just spent 30 days there this summer. I really crashed when I had to cut my brother down and do cpr to no avail last September . It was a repeat of 25 years ago   

I started outpatient in February  

This last time I was diagnosed with severe chronic PTSD and mdd. 

My c& p is in a few days. 

My recent medical records state 

suicidial ideation depression no sleep so on so on to all criteria. 

3 separate councillors say I am a moderate risk to my self and need ongoing monitoring. I go to a 9 week PTSD clinic at the end of this months. 

I have had over 30 jobs in the last 27 years. I haven't worked in 5 years now due to my untreated PTSD symptoms I have been married 3 times and arrested several due to anger. 

My vso said I will get 100% right away. But I don't know from all the threads I read. I am now in very aggressive outpatient therapy 4-5 appointments a week  

also after one month of treatment for PTSD I submitted a claim to ssd . I was approved for ssd in just 2 months for PTSD   Sorry so long  any rating opinions? 

Thanks

as far as rating goes, as long as documention reflects i would imagine 100%.  You might, if you can afford, to get a good IME to shoot for Permanent and Total given the treatment history.

As far as other concerns, i would possibly start to look at a family member or friend to appoint as a fiduciary if the VA deems you incompetent, which there is a chance they will.  If you have had a lot of issues paying bills in the past, etc. a lot of collections etc.

If you dont go for P&T right away, even though the VA is supposed to automatically consider you for it, i would also file for TDIU, so even if they only giv eyou 70% if you are TDIU then you will still be paid at the 100% level.

Also in your medical records for PTSD do they mention the barracks incident specifically as the stressor?  if so you will be fine for SC.

As far as a EED date for this i dont think you will get back to other than when you file it.  unless, you filed before and it was deferred or denied (but they ahd the evidence to give you the rating then)

Edited by USMC_VET

Well I have an update. I went for my exam and last night it showed up on healthy  well I have an update. I went for my exam and last night it showed up in healthy but I'm healthy vet vet,

It says total occupational and social impairment.  Intermediate risk of self harm which warrants continuous monitoring. The CMP examiner stated she felt I get 100%. I hope the raider agrees 

thats good news.  In the report though what did they answer to "is the veteran capable of managing their own financial affairs?"  If yes then you are fine, if no then the VA is going to appoint a fidcuiary to oversee your finances