VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property tax exemption for survivor?

3grandkids

Question

I am wondering if being granted DIC includes the property tax exemption benefit for the widow or widower?

My spouse died at 90% service connected disabled and I am still in the appeal process for DIC and service connected death.  I am substituting for undecided open claims at the time of death, also.

I read that only 12 states so far offer 100 percent exemption for 100 percent disabled Vets but since my spouse did not live long enough to receive this benefit, if DIC is finally granted to me, will I be able to get that exemption? Thank you for any info on this.

Edited by 3grandkids
correction

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Question 3grandkids?

once you get his claims adjudicated and its 100% &  yes I believe you can get the property tax exemp...if his death was because of his SC Disability's

how ever I'm not 100%sure on this?

...I think you could keep it if he was already getting it before he died...again I'm not sure   and I apologize to you if I got it all wrong.

Ms berta is the DIC Expert here at hadit  I'm sure she will chime in

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Thank you, Buck. We were getting a partial property tax exemption based on the then-disability rating, but that home has since been foreclosed.  I am not even sure if I am even now eligible for a partial tax break due to the 90% rating, as the survivor.

In Mi, as long as the spouse doesn't remarry, she/he is eligible for the State 100% Property  Tax Exemption. It's not retroactive and a Property Tax Exemption Form must be filed with the City Tax Authority each year before the Tax Board meets.

Mi Requirements are, Vet must be  (1) of the following: 100% SC Scheduler, in receipt of "Pecuniary Assistance (Wheelchair ramp or other Disability Home Modifications) and last but not least, "Determined" IU by the VA. Not necessarily due to SC conditions.

I had to look up "Pecuniary" but the (3) options for qualifying for the the MI Property Tax Exemption seem pretty straight forward. Not so fast, the VA "Determined" IU does not need to be an actual VA IU Award. A VA Vocational Rehabilitation Denial Letter will do the trick. If the Denial is for SC conditions, great evidence for IU claim or appeal. If it's for non SC conditions, it still covers the State Unemployability requirement for the Property Tax Exemption.

Semper Fi

I believe that each state has different laws pertaining to property tax exemptions for 100% disabled veterans and their surviving spouses.  In my home state of Georgia, the surviving spouse of a 100% disabled veteran can receive the same property tax exemption as her veteran spouse.  You should check with your local property tax office to see what the property tax exemption laws are in your state pertaining to 100% disabled veterans and their surviving spouses. JMO

Good luck to you.

GP

"My spouse died at 90% service connected disabled and I am still in the appeal process for DIC and service connected death.  I am substituting for undecided open claims at the time of death, also."

I think it would be a good idea for you to contact your county's Veteran's Service Agency or you state's Property tax website area....because exceptions are different in every state and county. Your county VSA should even have the forms you would need for any state or county exception.

I live in a rural area, a town that surrounds  a village. There are less than 1000 people in my town and 4 of us asked the Town Board to consider these exceptions for veterans many years ago.Even though this town and village is a small farm community, there are also many veterans here.

I was surprised that, after some time passed, and the village and town board considered this proposal carefully,  they not only voted in the exceptions but also awarded it to survivors like me.

They have 3 tax exceptions for veterans and three possible ones for their surviving spouses on county taxes. Our school tax bill is different.

The criteria for the main one I get is that my husband was 100% SC P & T at death, awarded as an accrued benefit 3 years after he died.

I would try not only the county VSA (I assume they have one) but also your state's website to see if they have a county and/or state property tax exception.

Also, my mother's first husband was killed in world war 2 and she received the same property tax exemption as a 100% disabled veteran even though her husband never actually received a 100% disability award.  I believe the same would hold true for a veteran who receives a 100% award for open claims decided after their death, especially where the surviving spouse is awarded DIC benefits.  JMO

GP