VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Apply for Voc rehab now or wait?

Rate this question

USCG90

Question

Hey everyone,

So I received my VA rating, which is 10% disability - despite recieving a 20% rating directly from the military. Not sure why they rated it lower then the military did from when I was medically discharged. Pretty sure during my C&P the doctor didn't include all the information in the claim. 

The rating is for a leg condition that I have (extortional compartment syndrome) which prevents me from walking very far or standing for long periods of time. 

I'm going to appeal the decision and push for at least 20%  But I've been reading the appeals can take over a year, and I have about a year left of GI Bill benefits.

i see on e-benefits I can apply for Voc Rehab with the 10% rating, but from what I've been reading it's nearly impossible to get approved with only 10%. Is that correct? If I apply now and get denied will I be able to reapply if / when my appeal for a higher rating goes through?

They can clearly see my limitations from all the medical documents, but I'm guessing that the 10% is going to hurt. 

Do you think I should apply now? 

Thanks

Edited by USCG90

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

So you did not get Medically Retired, why did you take the Discharge, did  you not want to be in the Military any longer? I was medically retired in Feb 13 at age 30 after 10 years Active, with Deployments to OIF/OEF. What I am trying to say is that I was in the Military over 4 yrs after I was diagnosed with Crohns and multiple health issues, before the Navy decided to Retire me. Then again, I was a tough son of a gun, and still ran a mile in a half, in less than 10 mins. It seems like it will be hard to get Rehab, going by other Vets that I have seen go thru the process. Hopefully an expert will chime in. Good luck and keep us posted bud.

So you did not get Medically Retired, why did you take the Discharge, did  you not want to be in the Military any longer? I was medically retired in Feb 13 at age 30 after 10 years Active, with Deployments to OIF/OEF. What I am trying to say is that I was in the Military over 4 yrs after I was diagnosed with Crohns and multiple health issues, before the Navy decided to Retire me. Then again, I was a tough son of a gun, and still ran a mile in a half, in less than 10 mins. It seems like it will be hard to get Rehab, going by other Vets that I have seen go thru the process. Hopefully an expert will chime in. Good luck and keep us posted bud.

Yeah, fortunately you could still complete all the requirements for staying in service - I was medically unfit for continuing service since I could not complete the run and other tasks like standing for long periods of time, etc. So I had no choice and was medically discharged with 20% disability. I fought for the 30% to get medically retired but ultimately lost the appeal. Glad you got the medical retirement though!

I'm just hoping I can get my VA claim upgraded to 20% like the military gave me sooner rather than later.

What is funny about my situation, was that I should have not been allowed to continue in the Military, but since I have my Top Secret Clearance and Middle east being my expertise the Navy kept it all hush hush, until I put in my package to be a Nuclear Officer, and then the Navy pulled the Old you can not submit an Officer package if you have an Incureable Disease, and then all of a sudden the Navy said time to get out!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/edu_voc_counseling.asp

check this link out!

................Buck