VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Working with PCP/VSO's

Rate this question

Corpsman8404

Question

Good morning everyone! First post.

I have switched my PCP to a VA doctor, and have my first meeting with him on Oct 5th. My assumption (you know how that goes) is that using the VA PCP would benefit me in my claims.  My question is, how do I go about telling them that, "look, here is my goal".  
I'm not asking to "lead" him, but I'd like to tell him my issues and have some comfort in knowing that he will help with IMO/Nexus letters, et cetera?

I will be mentioning Headaches, my TMJ issues, and my upcoming sleep study on the 27th of Oct.

As well, I meet with my VSO's on the 28th to discuss these issues and to even try to bump up my PTSD to 70%.  It will be the first time I "meet" them, since they have done everything in the background.  (Virgina Dept of Veterans Services).  With them, I'd like to discuss "here is my plan, here are the numbers I'd like to try and reach on each issue, and how can I get there?".

Is this reasonable? This may be common sense to most of you, but I want to do this right, and thus far I have went from 20%-70% within this year with the signature items below.  With the right numbers on Sleep, TMJ, and Headaches I am shooting of course, for 100!
Thoughts?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

More great info, Devil Dog!

I looked in "secure messaging" and my PCP is not in there YET to send a message to (I meet with him for the first time on Oct 5th).

I have a big question for you, or staff, or anyone (Even Dr. Bash if you're on!) :biggrin: I have been considering using Dr. Bash to get things steamrolled the first time.  Should I contact him NOW, or wait until I have the sleep study, and the consult for headaches, TMJ, GERD done???? 

Here is what I WANT at a minimum, to get to 95 = 100.  (*'s are what I have now)

**PTSD 70% (want increase from 50)

Sleep apnea 50% (new)

Headaches 20% (new)

**Shoulder 20%

**Knee 10%

**Tinnitus 10%

**TMJ 10%

GERD 10% (new)

Edited by Corpsman8404

Welcome aboard, and in my opinion you need to seek care for a while with your PCP and VA Docs, build a line of info with them, and then ask for help. I have seen too many Vets go into the VA once or twice and then want the VA docs to fill out 20 DBQs, and when the VA Docs turn them down the Vet claims to not know why. Everything comes with time and documentation, most of us did not get 100% over night. It takes a lot of research, and sad thing, Sick Vets that have the Medical Evidence along with MRIs XRays and different test to prove the medical conditions. I always say that Evidence is Evidence is Evidence, no need to reinvent the wheel. Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted

I would do this.  Wait until the sleep study is done, see what the docs say after that.  I agree, dont try and push dbq's with docs.  personally, if you are not in  extreme financial difficulties i would work on getting a good medical history built.    having only one visit and one instance of complaint is not as powerful as a year.  However with good IMO/IME's it can help immensely.  If you have good med documentation of these injuries in service (such as BAS records for shoulder injury, IED hitting near you, etc. you wont have to fight for the SC, but for the rating %)

Tinnitus:

http://howtoapplyvabenefits.com/2015/09/19/how-to-win-a-tinnitus-claim/

However i looked and the HM series is listed as "low" on the probability for hearing loss.  This is BS considering the units you guys get attached to but since your MOS field contains people who work in dental offices and x ray it skews it.  I would get a good list of your deployments and orders to show the units you were attached to.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I had to send a message to the myhealthevet admins and ask them to add my PCP. It took them a few days to get it added.

Thanks Navy04, for the advice.  Congrats on your award to 100, and thank you for your service.

USMC_VET - Sounds good, I'll see what the sleep study, TMJ, headache consult says, and then add in IME/IMO's.  Yeah, I was awarded tinnitus but denied the hearing loss. I was with 81mm mortars and part of a Helo/FAST rope team with constant noise. (2nd Mar Div. 2/2 and 3/2)  I swear most people can hear the tiniest things in a quite room with headphones on, but when in everyday life people aren't heard as well.  :cool:

Vync  - Thanks, I'll look into getting the PCP added that way.

Edited by Corpsman8404