VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CUE Proof Read if someone has time

Rate this question

KansasNavy

Question

All,    Sorry this is so long.  I received a denial letter on a NOD that I sent to the DRO.  DRO denied it based off the DBQ which the Dr at the C&P submitted, but neither the Dr or the Rater looked at my Medical records.  I am unsure if this is best left to run through the normal appeals process now that the DRO denied it or could I submit the below as a CUE?  I'm not sure if this meets the CUE Standard.  I tried to lay out the case from start to finish with evidence.  All of my enclosures are word for word out of my medical records.  Do I have a case for CUE?  Letters A thru K below are identical but apply to all three denial points the VA tried to make.

I respectfully request the VA to call a clear and unmistakable error on part of the September 22, 2015 DRO decision letter from the Pittsburgh Regional Office and to correct it.

In the above mentioned Decision Letter from the DRO, I was denied service-connection for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy.  In my original claim from 01 July 2015, I requested service connection for this issue based off of multiple entries in my Service Medical Records (SMR) which the VA has on file at the Pittsburgh RO.  After I received my original decision letter dated June 04, 2015, I filed a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) on August 01, 2015 and elected the DRO process on August 16, 2015. 

I was given my C&P exam April 05, 2015 and service connection for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy was not diagnosed on the DBQ with the Doctor stating, “I had denied any right sided radialculopthy.” This is an untrue statement, as I never stated that I did not have any radialculopthy symptoms and in fact stated the opposite, because in 2002 when I ruptured my lower vertebrate I had massive amounts of pain, numbness, and tingling in my right leg from my buttocks all the way to my feet. Over the last 15 years, the pain, numbness and tingling also spread into my left leg and foot and it has been at times disabling in both legs causing me to miss work.  However, my right leg was not noted on the DBQ only my left leg was noted. Both legs have been documented in my SMR’s with severe peripheral neuropathy or radialculopothy.

“A denovo review of your claim shows service connection for right lower extremity peripheral neuropathy was denied because it was not diagnosed on Thoracolumbar Spine DBQ dated 4-15-2015.  There was no objective evidence of right sided radialculopthy demonstrated on examination.”

================================================================

1. The Decision Letter dated September 22, 2015 states that, “Service connection may be granted for a disability which began in military service or was caused by some event or experience in Service.”  Enclosures a. thru k. clearly show that my claim for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy clearly began in military service, and was in fact caused by the ruptured discs in my lower back followed by multiple surgeries to correct those ruptured discs.

a. SMR dated 16 Sept 2002: PT REPORTS NUMBNESS AND TINGLING IN THE RIGHT BUTTOCKS REGION AND DOWN THE BACK OF HIS RIGHT LEG ALSO.  RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY, POINT TENDERNESS IS THE SI JOINT REGION.

b. SMR dated 17 Sept 2002: MRI SHOWS THAT HE DOES HAVE A HERNIATED DISC AT L5-S1 ON THE RIGHT.  HE HAS SYMPTOMS THAT ARE CLEARLY SUGGESTIVE OF THIS WITH NUMBNESS IN THE LATERAL BORDER OF HIS FOOT, A POSITIVE TENSION SIGN, AND DECREASED REFLEX IN THE RIGHT ANKLE.

c. SMR dated 20 Sept 2002: PT NEEDS MRI OF THE LUMBAR SPINE AS ORDERED BY THE ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR.  IT NEEDS TO BE DONE TODAY AN ACUTE INJURY LOW BACK PAIN WITH RADIALCULOPATHY.

d. SMR dated 24 Sept 2002:  HISTORY OF COMPLAINT -- PT DEVELOPED PAIN IN THE RIGHT LEG. THE PAIN WENT FROM THE BUTTOCKS THE WHOLE WAY TO THE LATERAL SIDE OF HIS FOOT. EXAMINATION – I THINK THIS GENTLEMAN HAS RUPTURED A LUMBAR DISC. HE HAS MARKEDLY POSITIVE LASEGUE SIGN ON THE RIGHT.  (DEFINITION OF LASEGUE’S SIGN IS STRAIGHT LEG MANEUVER USED IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF LUMBROSACRAL RADIALCULOPOTHY.) HE HAS NUMBNESS ON THE BORDER OF HIS FOOT AND IS INTACT NEUROVASCULARLY OTHERWISE IN THE LOWER EXTREMITIES.  HE DOES HAVE A SLIGHTLY DECREASED ANKLE REFLEX ON THE RIGHT.

e. SMR dated 26 Sept 2002: RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY PARASTHESIAS AND PAIN.

f. SMR dated 30 Sept 2002: ON EXAMINATION TODAY HE HAS SYMPTOMS THAT ARE CLEARLY SUGGESTIVE OF THIS WITH NUMBNESS ON THE LATERAL BORDER OF HIS FOOT, A POSITIVE TENSION SIGN, AND DECREASED REFLEX ON THE RIGHT ANKLE.

g. SMR dated 08 Oct 2002: MRI OF THE LUMBAR SPINE THAT SHOWS HE HAS A PROMINENT CENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION EXTENDING TO THE RIGHT OF THE MIDLINE AND IMPINGING UPON THE RIGHT S1 NERVE ROOT. THERE IS SUBLTE RETROLISTHESIS OF L5 ON S1. HIS PHYSICAL EXAM SHOWS TENDERNESS TO THE RIGHT OF THE MIDLINE. HE DOES HAVE DECREASED ANKLE REFLEX ON THE RIGHT AND MARKEDLY POSITIVE LASEGUE SIGN. 

h. SMR dated 17 Oct 2002: SURGICAL OPERATIVE PROCEDURE

i. SMR dated 16 Nov 2004: DOES PAIN RADIATE? DOWN BOTH LEGS. IS THERE NUMBNESS OR TINGLING IN ANY LIMB? YES LEFT AND RIGHT. ABNORMAL GAIT IS NOTED.

j. SMR dated 22 Mar 2005: HAS OCCAISIONAL MIDLINE LOW BACK PAIN WITH RADIALCULOPOTHY.

k. SMR dated 07 Jan 209: THROBBING LEGS MOSTLY AT NIGHT. MULTIPLE VISITS FOR LOWER BACK PAIN AND LEG PAIN. LEG PAIN HAS WORSENED.  DDX RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME, REFERRAL TO NEUROLOGY.

2. The Decision Letter dated September 22, 2015 states that, “Service connection for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy is denied because the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed.”  Enclosures a. thru k. clearly show that my claim for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy was diagnosed multiple times, and was related to ruptured discs in my lower back with multiple back surgeries. 

a. SMR dated 16 Sept 2002: PT REPORTS NUMBNESS AND TINGLING IN THE RIGHT BUTTOCKS REGION AND DOWN THE BACK OF HIS RIGHT LEG ALSO.  RIGHT LOWER EXTREMITY, POINT TENDERNESS IS THE SI JOINT REGION.

b. SMR dated 17 Sept 2002: MRI SHOWS THAT HE DOES HAVE A HERNIATED DISC AT L5-S1 ON THE RIGHT.  HE HAS SYMPTOMS THAT ARE CLEARLY SUGGESTIVE OF THIS WITH NUMBNESS IN THE LATERAL BORDER OF HIS FOOT, A POSITIVE TENSION SIGN, AND DECREASED REFLEX IN THE RIGHT ANKLE.

c. SMR dated 20 Sept 2002: PT NEEDS MRI OF THE LUMBAR SPINE AS ORDERED BY THE ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR.  IT NEEDS TO BE DONE TODAY AN ACUTE INJURY LOW BACK PAIN WITH RADIALCULOPATHY.

d. SMR dated 24 Sept 2002:  HISTORY OF COMPLAINT -- PT DEVELOPED PAIN IN THE RIGHT LEG. THE PAIN WENT FROM THE BUTTOCKS THE WHOLE WAY TO THE LATERAL SIDE OF HIS FOOT. EXAMINATION – I THINK THIS GENTLEMAN HAS RUPTURED A LUMBAR DISC. HE HAS MARKEDLY POSITIVE LASEGUE SIGN ON THE RIGHT.  (DEFINITION OF LASEGUE’S SIGN IS STRAIGHT LEG MANEUVER USED IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF LUMBROSACRAL RADIALCULOPOTHY.) HE HAS NUMBNESS ON THE BORDER OF HIS FOOT AND IS INTACT NEUROVASCULARLY OTHERWISE IN THE LOWER EXTREMITIES.  HE DOES HAVE A SLIGHTLY DECREASED ANKLE REFLEX ON THE RIGHT.

f. SMR dated 30 Sept 2002: ON EXAMINATION TODAY HE HAS SYMPTOMS THAT ARE CLEARLY SUGGESTIVE OF THIS WITH NUMBNESS ON THE LATERAL BORDER OF HIS FOOT, A POSITIVE TENSION SIGN, AND DECREASED REFLEX ON THE RIGHT ANKLE.

g. SMR dated 08 Oct 2002: MRI OF THE LUMBAR SPINE THAT SHOWS HE HAS A PROMINENT CENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION EXTENDING TO THE RIGHT OF THE MIDLINE AND IMPINGING UPON THE RIGHT S1 NERVE ROOT. THERE IS SUBLTE RETROLISTHESIS OF L5 ON S1. HIS PHYSICAL EXAM SHOWS TENDERNESS TO THE RIGHT OF THE MIDLINE. HE DOES HAVE DECREASED ANKLE REFLEX ON THE RIGHT AND MARKEDLY POSITIVE LASEGUE SIGN. 

i. SMR dated 16 Nov 2004: DOES PAIN RADIATE? DOWN BOTH LEGS. IS THERE NUMBNESS OR TINGLING IN ANY LIMB? YES LEFT AND RIGHT. ABNORMAL GAIT IS NOTED.

j. SMR dated 22 Mar 2005: HAS OCCAISIONAL MIDLINE LOW BACK PAIN WITH RADIALCULOPOTHY.

k. SMR dated 07 Jan 209: THROBBING LEGS MOSTLY AT NIGHT. MULTIPLE VISITS FOR LOWER BACK PAIN AND LEG PAIN. LEG PAIN HAS WORSENED.  DDX RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME, REFERRAL TO NEUROLOGY.

3. The Decision Letter dated September 22, 2015 states that, “Service connection for an organic disease of the nervous system may be granted on a presumptive basis if it becomes manifest to a compensable degree within a certain period after military discharge.  As the medical evidence fails to show a diagnosis of Peripheral Neuropathy within the time period specified under 38 CFR 3.307, service connection on a presumptive basis must also be denied.”  Enclosures a. thru k. clearly show that my claim for Right Lower Extremity Peripheral Neuropathy was diagnosed multiple times, and was related to ruptured discs in my lower back with the following Discectomy surgery and five years later a back fusion. 

k. SMR dated 07 Jan 2009: THROBBING LEGS MOSTLY AT NIGHT. MULTIPLE VISITS FOR LOWER BACK PAIN AND LEG PAIN. LEG PAIN HAS WORSENED.  DDX RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME, REFERRAL TO NEUROLOGY.

The evidence listed in my Service Medical Records clearly show a diagnosis of Right Leg Peripheral Neuropathy.

The VA's failure to consider and evaluate the evidence that the VA had in their possession manifestly altered the outcome of the decision referred to above.

How did the VA refer to your SMRs?

Did they list them as evidence?

If so, did they make any statements about them?

In "k". did they refer you to Neurology and do you have those records?

For CUE you need to specify the exact regulation they broke.

If the VA did not list your SMRs , or consider them at all, they have committed a CUE under 38 CFR 4.6.

Did the C & P doctor refer to them?

It sounds like you may need to challenge to competency of the medical examiner.   Dont "attack" what he says...a competent medical examiner opinion will always "trump" that of lay evidence, but instead attack his credentials in you appeal. 

First, you need to find out if the examiner was a doctor.  VA often tries to pawn off a "non doc" as a doc, hoping you wont notice.  Go to your VAMC and try to find out if this VA "doc" was a doc or a quack. 

Next, lets assume he is a doc.  What is his CV?  Did he have the medical training or experience regarding PN?  How many years?  Was he a rookie/and or did an experienced doc sign off on this?

Did he state he reviewed you entire medical records in the exam?  If he did so state, you should be able to get the exam thrown out.  

Remember, C and P examiners are "presumed competent" absent a challenge from the Veteran and/or his representative.  

You go into a "doctor's" office at VAMC so you assume the guy on the other side of the desk is an MD.  This is not necessarily the case.  The "doc" does not necessarily have to be an MD, but you can challenge it if he has little or no medical training/professional experience in PN.  If you dont challenge, tho, they could send you to the janitor and his opinion would be ok.  To save money, VA often uses incompetent examiners, or examiners only competent in "other medical fields".  Medicine is very specialized.  You could not go to your friend who has a PHD in English Literature and ask him to opine on your Peripheral Neuropathy.   But...dont put it past VA to try that bull.  

Edited by broncovet

Berta and I answered at the same time and my answer was consistent with hers, but in different words, and Berta is the best.    

I will add here that, unless you challenge the competency of the examiner, you need to understand that "lay evidence" (yours) wont ever trump the opinion of a medical professional on medical opinions.  To beat a medical opinion, you need another medical opinion.  

If your challenge of the competency of the examiner is valid, then its likely you will get a remand for another exam, unless you have other medical evidence and dont need it.  

The Crazy one here, my apologies but with my medications and lack of concentration I miss things from time to time but I still like to help a veteran if I can.  I know you meant 2009 in letter K but do you have a current diagnosis?

In order to get service connected you need:

1. A Current Diagnosis

2. An In-service Injury or Disease

3. A Nexus Connecting 1 and 2

Yes, I know you have the in-service conditions but items 1 and 3 are just as important as item 2.  I sure hope you have all three Items.  Are you service connected for any other condition of your back or legs that could be considered as a secondary disability? 

P. S. Never let a C & P examiner diagnose your condition without already having a clear diagnosis from a treating doctor, VA or Private doctor to balance out any negative C & P exam.

Edited by pete992

I agree with Pete.  Sometimes those of us who have been around a while forget to tell the newbies the basics, like you did, Pete.  Its on hadit, here of course, but it gets "buried".  You would be suprised how many Vets are appealing without one of the "big 3".  If you dont have a diagnosis or a nexus, you arent getting SC'd.  If you are at the Board without one of these, then get one and send it in. 

Many times there is a nexus or a diagnosis, and VA either does not read it, or it wound up in the shredder bin.  

Good points guys....and you are both right .

I wonder if that is the problem here.....the disability  needs a clear diagnosis.

What diagnostic code (s) did they give you with any NSC percentages?