VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Myself Back Into the Workforce-Questions

Rate this question

elements430

Question

Hello All,

I was recently "awarded" 100% TDIU P&T (sorry if that's incorrect). While the benefits are great, I'm still young and feel that I can get myself back into the workforce in the near future. They changed my rating to 100% TDIU for my PTSD (70% scheduler). I was hit by a mortar, so I have some other lesser ratings that total 90% (final rating. including the 70% for PTSD). I do realize that I cannot go out and make a living over the poverty level, but I have no clue as how to proceed without gaming the system. I put in several calls to my Regional Office for Voc Rehab. They should be the ones to guide me, right?

I just want to know the best course of action, without abusing the system. I have felt a lot of shame since they rated me TDIU. I'm only 32 years old, and I feel that I have the world in front of me. Can I get rid of this rating and return to a normal life after therapy? The hill is steep, but I know I can climb it. I've been fired from several jobs for the typical PTSD reasons. I am finally coming to terms with this crap that floats around in my head, but this rating feels like a sentence from a judge.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Apply on-line with the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Department via your E-Ben Site. Great program for SC Vets. You are eligible for 12 years after your SC Award. If for some reason your found to be precluded or unable to complete the Voc Rehab program, there is still the IL "Independent Living" program.

The IL program has some great benefits to assist you now and down the road. You owe it to yourself to become knowledgeable about both of these programs.

The VA doesn't just hand out IU T&P awards, your pretty fracked up, more than you probably realize. Read the 38 CFR 4 70% rating for PTSD. You've got some real issues to contend with, that will greatly affect your productivity and employment prospects. VA's MH programs might help, to a certain degree. Just don't expect to wake up one morning, PTSD free, ain't going to happen, you paid the price.

Your under 65 so you can earn up to the SGI cut off of $12,400 or $238.00 per week, without fear of an automatic IU Reduction. Some employers might make accommodations for your SC conditions, that would work, even if you earned more than SGI yearly. Best to be upfront with any prospective employer regarding your PTSD issues.

Semper Fi

I may be wrong, but based on what you said you are 100% TDIU and not permanent and Total (unless you have received a letter saying so).

TDIU is predicated upon your individual unemployability, meaning that your disability keeps you from even working as a fry cook at McD's.  If you go out and start working, etc. then that will def result in a reduction in your TDIU. 

under TDIU you can work but in very specific circumstances (search the forum there are threads out there about it).  If you are not TIDU any longer but 100% P&T you can work no problems.

Edited by USMC_VET

IMHO, I talked to a friend of mine several months ago about this very same issue.  Being 100% TDIU and wanting to go back to work.  I understand that you are young and want to go back to work but you need to think long and hard on this stage of your life.  The problem he and you are facing is that you have PTSD a mental health disorder and it will most likely be with you for the rest of your life.  I am not trying to be negative, I am trying to inform you that any mental health disorder can make a person permanently unemployable due to the fact that the person has good days and bad days and anything can cause a trigger to a bad episode.  Your post even stated that you have been fired from several jobs due to your condition.  The facts are you are disabled and you will most likely not be able to maintain employment.   Yes, you may go several months and or several years but it is like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.  You can also file for Social Security Disability Insurance. The best thing you can do is find a hobby.  My friend was getting TDIU and went back to work and he work for a full year which caused him to lose his TDIU and right after that year was over he lost his job due to a bad PTSD episode.  I informed him that basically he was unemployable and the fact that he went back to work and lost his job he now have to fight VA and SSA to get his benefits back.  Once a veteran lose his rating he/she has to start all over again.  So it is all up to you but be very careful. 

Thank you for the responses, everyone. My first post, and some very informative feedback. BTW, my rating includes P&T, with no future examinations.

I just sent in a VocRehab application via VONNAP. I hope the counselor can tell me what's what. 

I also looked into the SSDI. I have enough SS credits to rate $1200 a month. I'm going to submit an application as well. Their site tells me I need to bring my "award" letter to my local SSA office.

No one in the world can complain about taking home ~$4100 a month (well, some), but I am going to take it and use it as motivation to get back into the workforce. Obviously the gov wants this, but I don't want to be 13 months at a job, and then "it" starts coming out again, as pete992 stated. That is no good.

I think my best course of action is to get into some very heavy therapy, work a menial job for a bit, and see how I fare. I EAS'd in 2005, so I know my triggers at this point. Maybe that job battery will illuminate a "trigger-free" job field. They don't exist, but hey, people win the lottery, right?

Thanks again to everyone who posts on this site. A lot of good gouge from a great brotherhood. I will tread lightly and use all available resources.

SF

Congrats on the 100% and sorry to hear of your issues bud. I was Medically Retired in Feb 2013 at 30 yrs of age, and now at 33 VA Permanent, SSDI and Wife is paid by VA to be my caregiver, actually going to have 2 surgeries over the next 2 weeks. I have to accept that I can not or should ever work, and that is a long road ahead of me considering my age. What I am trying to say is that only you can decide what is best for you and your family. Are you willing to risk your guaranteed 100% along with the money and benefits that come with it. There are a lot of Homeless and Sick Vets that would literally die for your current benefits. We all want to go on with our lives, and not just live in a house waiting to die, but at the same time we have to take our lives one day at a time. Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Regarding your SSDI, because you are P&T, they are supposed to fast track your application