VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NEW LAW PASSED! Property Tax Exemption

• HadIt.com Elder

Heres one for Indana

IndianaA disabled veteran in Indiana may receive a property tax exemption of up to $37,440 on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled or is 62 years old or older with at least a 10 percent disability as a result of service.

Ms Tbird put up a link for all 50 states property exemption !

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• 8 months later...

I am rated 100%.  I am in Illinois and it is bull shit that only 1 county in Illinois offers 100% exemption for current resident veterans. What do you expect from the state which has the highest property taxes in the Nation; the highest crime rate; and is a SANCTUARY STATE.

• 1 month later...

In Florida,  this has been in effect for several years. However, my 90% plus Unemployability at 100% still did not qualify me because they stated that your disability had to show it was combat related. I am PTSD disabled because of things experienced in Vietnam. They would not take my DD214 info because it did not say I was in a combat role. I was Signal Corps. So, I had to write to the Dept of the Army, and have them rule on the combat connection. They added specific info about naming Vietnam duty on the new DD214. Their letter also stated that the very fact that I served in Vietnam, whether or not I had seen combat, did not matter. My feet on the ground was proof enough that I served in a combat zone. This Dept of the Army letter was also proof enough for the property appaisers office to grant me a 100% tax exemption. Not only that, they went retro several years and granted me 50%, 80% and 100%, respectively for 2013, 2014 and 2015 based on my percentage disability rating in those years. The retro check for $6800.00+ arrived last week!!!! Yes, there is a Santa Claus,  but you have to do your homework. They won't come to you offering this money! There are only about 3-4 states offering 100% exemption. Most are for property values under $250,000.00. Some, way less! Even more have NO EXEMPTION!!!!

20160820_234844-1.jpg

Edited by Djdan48

DJan, your IU, are you rated as Total & Permanent? According to FL FS 196.081 (1), if your SC 100% or Rated IU and have a P & T rating, you get a 100% FL property Tax Exemption for your Primary Residence.

FL FS 196.082 If a SC Disabled Vet (? less than 100% or IU T & P) is 65 or older and was a FL Resident at time of entry into the Military, they are eligible for a Property Tax Discount by applying to their County Appraiser.

Your Retro was at 50, 80 then 100, when did you get the IU T & P Rating? 50 & 80 look like the 196.082 Discount Rate.

Semper Fi