VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NEW LAW PASSED! Property Tax Exemption

Dinky, me so sory, you IL Tax info, #10.

Over the past 4 years, I have not found (1) State where any type of DAV Property Tax Exemption is not determined by the State Legislature. The County's only collect the Property Tax's, don't make the rules regarding Vet Exemptions.

As of 2015, IL 35 ILCS 200/15-169 changed to 30%+SC $2500 exemption, 50%+SC $5K exemption and 70+% SC 100% Property Tax Exemption. Prior to the 2015 change, DAV Property Tax exemptions started at 50% SC.

Of note, No T & P Rating Requirement for the 70%+ Rating, that's a big deal.

Vet's have to apply each year under (1) of (3) Vet 35 ILCS, you need to specify the 35 ILCS 200/15-169.

You have a State Rep, elected from your City or County, time to call and/or Email him/her to get your Property Tax issued squared away.

If you filed previously and were Denied by the County, might be a nice Retro for an early Christmas.

Semper Fi

12 hours ago, Djdan48 said:

In Florida,  this has been in effect for several years. However, my 90% plus Unemployability at 100% still did not qualify me because they stated that your disability had to show it was combat related. I am PTSD disabled because of things experienced in Vietnam. They would not take my DD214 info because it did not say I was in a combat role. I was Signal Corps. So, I had to write to the Dept of the Army, and have them rule on the combat connection. They added specific info about naming Vietnam duty on the new DD214. Their letter also stated that the very fact that I served in Vietnam, whether or not I had seen combat, did not matter. My feet on the ground was proof enough that I served in a combat zone. This Dept of the Army letter was also proof enough for the property appaisers office to grant me a 100% tax exemption. Not only that, they went retro several years and granted me 50%, 80% and 100%, respectively for 2013, 2014 and 2015 based on my percentage disability rating in those years. The retro check for $6800.00+ arrived last week!!!! Yes, there is a Santa Claus,  but you have to do your homework. They won't come to you offering this money! There are only about 3-4 states offering 100% exemption. Most are for property values under $250,000.00. Some, way less! Even more have NO EXEMPTION!!!!

20160820_234844-1.jpg

If you are IU PT you qualify in Florida, I receive a full exemption (except the fire and trash stuff which is around $200 or something), you need to talk to your property tax office and your county vso, someone is full of crap.  They should be paying you back every cent you have paid since the day you were awarded IU PT that you owned property in your name. 

I live in a town where there is more cows than people...only 700 residents by now I think....

I pay County School taxes and Town taxes.

Many years ago 3 vets I knew wanted to bring up exemptions at a Town Board Meeting and asked me to go with them..and after a few town board meetings we were able to get an exemption law passed,to describe 3 exemptions with eligible for two of the three, deducted from our town taxes.

I was very much surprised when the Town published a little pamphlet explaining this to the residents.There are  only 3 or 4 surviving spouses of disabled wartime vets around here that I know of but maybe more, whose spouses had 100% P & T SC when they died,and  the Town Board had included us widows too.

I get two tax exemptions due to my husband's service.Wartime service exemption and 100% P & T SC when he died.

It really was not a difficult thing to get passed.This is Farm Country...more cows than people but also MANY disabled veterans here.

One factor when we bought my farm is that the VAMC was only 20 minutes away and there is a good sized vet population in my town.

It sure does not hurt to look into any local village and town tax situations because it might only take a little time and effort to get a exemption law passed.

We also had an exemption passed for our Village/town  volunteer firemen and women-I spent 8 years with the local fire department and these volunteer fire departments (ours has many veterans in it) cost members time and money,not to mention being in often dangerous  situations and they sure deserved a small tax exemption if they also own property in the Village or town.

Go get'em Troops! Remember, your dealing with City or County Tax Dept Employees.

You need to have a copy of your State Specific DAV 100% Scheduler or IU Tax Exemption Requirement, per  State legislative statute exemption, with you for reference. Some City & County Employees need to see it in writing.

Semper Fi

Last time I checked, PA is a 100% only for property tax exemption.  So if you're under that, too bad for you/us/me.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a great benefit in Utah, based on what percentage your disability is.  However, I am struggling with my deed in both my spouse and my name so I only get 50% of my benefit since my spouse is not disabled.  Any thoughts on how to fix this?