VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Radiculopathy L4-L5 vs Chronic Sciatica Claim

Rate this question

Mo

Question

Hello all,

First off...BIG THANKS!!!!  I am a newbie (sorta) and have been following this site for close to 2 years. You all helped me go from 40% to 70% total last year! This is my first post so I hope I am asking it in the right place. (Haven't found an answer similar). 

I have initiated a claim for an increase of my PTSD. I am also claiming secondary disabilities to DDD (rated 40%)  such as Depression and Radiculopathy. But I noticed I don't have a diagnosis for it.  All my treatment records state DDD or chronic LBP until they recently starting stating "Radicular symptoms begining 6/18/15".  I have 21 pages of VA medical documentation for burning, altered gait, radical symptoms, inability to ambulate, in addition to over 50 days of work missed this year, 2 local ER visits, and 1 VA ER visit.

Do I file for Radiculopathy or Sciatica and if Awarded ask for retroactive pay from 2004?

I have my medical files and here is the following:

• 8/13/15 MRI:

Test Name: MRI L Spine without contrast  

Reason for study: 32m with low back pain radianting to right leg

Clinical History: hx of lumbar radiculopathy L$-L% in 2004. Now with worsening pain, muscle spasms, and nubness in RLE

Report:
MRI lumbar spine without contrast.
Clinical Indication: 32M with low back pain radiating to right
leg.
Contrast: None.
Comparison: None.
Findings:
Segmentation: Normal.
Vertebral column: Vertebral marrow signal without evidence of
fracture or metastasis. Alignment normal.
L1-L2: Disc without significant dessication. Negative for disc
herniation or spinal stenosis.
L2-L3: Disc without significant dessication. Negative for disc
L3-L4: Disc without significant dessication. Negative for disc
L4-L5: Moderate disc desiccation and bulge with dorsal annular
fissure and small central disc extrusion with minimal cephalad
migration. Negative for resultant spinal stenosis.
L5-S1: Mild disc desiccation and bulge with dorsal annular
fissure. There is a 10 mm extradural cyst within the right
lateral recess at the upper S1 vertebral level, consistent with a
discal cyst and resulting in moderate right lateral recess
stenosis with displacement and impingement of the right S1 nerve
root. Negative for canal or foraminal stenosis.
Impression:
1. Negative for spinal canal stenosis. 2. Degenerative changes
at L4-5 and L5-S1 with right-sided discal cyst at L5-S1 resulting
in moderate right lateral recess stenosis and impingement of the
right S1 nerve root.

• 6/15/04 MRI 

L3-4: Mild, broad-based disk bulge. The spinal and neuroforamina are unremarkable.

L4-5: Focal, central disk extrusion with partial migration of the disks superiorly along the L4 level posteriorly. There is contact of the exiting L4 nerve root by the disk extrusion. The lateral recess is unremarkable. The spinal canal at the L4-5 level demonstrates flattening from the disks. There is high signal at the central part of the L4-5 disk, which may represent annular.

L5-S1: Mild , broad-basked disk bulge, but the spinal canal and neuroforamina are normal.

Impression: Findings consistent with disk extrusion at the L4-L5 level, with migration of the disk superiorly. Psossible annular tear at L4-L5 level.

• 8/11/04 In service ER visit

Physical Assessment: Posture and gait both abnormal/ antalgic, abnormal striaight leg raise, ROM (limited to pain), and tender to palpation

Comments: HNP @ L4-L5, annular tear L4-L5

Diagnosis: Chronic sciatica

Sorry to be so long on my first post, but I want to give as much info as possible. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Edited by Mo

You really should think about getting that cyst removed.  Minimally invasive techniques might be available.  Have you gotten to see a surgeon yet?

Your C&P is good, they aught to give you 40% on your back and then possible extra scheduler consideration for higher rating.  Legs need a DBQ as well to get them to do a rating on radiculopathy.  You just might get another appointment for that.  I know they got me an EMG and said I had chronic Radiculopathy, then ignored half of my symptoms after that and gave me 10% for both legs in a low ball that I am fighting now.

I haven't gotten to see a surgeon yet. I'm already 40% for my back. I had a DBQ for radiculopathy. Just going crazy waiting