VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

hypertension and nephritis end stage renal failure

Rate this question

Tj

Question

My name is tj I enlisted in the military as a junior in high school. The military was always my career goal. I also got 2 of my buddies to join which boosted my rank to E2 I also had enough college credits to get ranked E3 before basics. I passed a health physical for high school football and august of 1999 I started basics in great lakes, IL. While in basics I was scheduled for a routine dentist appointment and I was found to have a very high bp around 190/120 and was asked if I had a history of high bp for which I never had. I was asked to immediately see the medic for which bp pills were prescribed and follow up next day. Next day same thing bp still elevated. I was then separated and was sent to hospital. After several test biopsy and scans it was found that I have nephrosclerosis and would be discharged and on dialysis within a year so rudely by naval doctor. I had no clue what dialysis was.  I applied for service connected disability in 2000 and was denied for which I appealed. I was awarded ssi. I got discouraged with va and never pursued and more and had a kidney transplant November 2001. Unfortunately it failed may of 2014 and I had to undergo second transplant. The va has always paid for my medication but just January of this year did I start back actively pursuing my claim. I was told countless times that my claim had fallen through the cracks. I always knew this was wrong and now I get a letter stating the va is evaluating my claim for compensation. Also I am getting assistance by American legion. I mailed all of my private medical records to be scanned into the system for easy review. Does this sound like a legitimate claim for va service connected benefits thanks.

Tj,

Please follow the advice given by the above Hadit members.  They know what they are talking about and they want to help you.  Provide the information requested by Berta and all other relevant information you have.  The more information you provide, the easier it will be for Hadit members to assist you with your claim.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

Do not give up. You deserve your VA benefits.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service.

GP

• HadIt.com Elder

When you entered service you were cleared to enlist by a physical. Its my opinion that you should try very hard to get service connected. It is not an easy road and if there is one piece of advice I can give you it is not to give up or quit till you have exhausted every chance. Good Luck

"Also I am getting assistance by American legion"

If the SSI is solely for this same claimed condition make sure the AL and the VA know that.

Were you discharged under a Medical Discharge?

Can you scan and attach here the last VA denial letter you got, as to their Reasons and Bases and the evidence list?

(Cover C file number ,name, address prior to scanning)

I regret I cannot read the downloads but others will be able too ( I have a vision problem soon to be corrected I hope)

It seems that VA is saying this condition was pre existing and not aggravated by service.

But they also say it appeared that they used another vet's entrance physical incorrectly.

Do you have a copy of all of your Military records to include  a copy of the actual pre entrance physical you got?

VA is saying ,from what I gather, ( but others will be able to read the downloads better than I can) that you appeared to have a very serious condition that had to have begun prior to enlistment. And with the discharge after a short period of service, they are saying the inservice Mil treatment was appropriate and did not aggravate it.

The letter from the Commanding Officer says you had 'chronic renal failure' and hypertension, but Chronic renal failure does not happen over night. I dont know what evidence they had to make that statement.

I agree with Buck, get a hold of a good veteran's attorney like Matt Hill, Bob Walsh, Chris Attig,or Doug Rosinski....their contact info is here under a search and their web sites are googleable .

Because if VA holds to this as 'pre existing" , they will continue to deny the claim.I just cannot read all of the downloads

and wonder, (I assume you have all of your SMRS,) what they actually reveal.

Thanks alot Pete and yes I was in fact cleared with a perfect bill of health. I am still perusing my service connected disability claim.  It has been an emotional roller-coaster with the continued denial from va as my health deteriorated and bills pulled up without va financial assistance.

Edited by Tj
ssn listed