VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In Patient Temp 100

Rate this question

russ209

Question

Good morning everyone my name is Russ and this is my first post, I have been reading a lot of posts on here but could not find the answers I am looking for.

A little background about myself I served six years as an 11B in the ARMY I was in Ramadi and Fallujah in 04-05. I have been Service connected for PTSD at 70% and tinnitus at 10% since 10 August 2007. I have been working as a police officer for the last two years, and my ptsd has gotten progressively worse since becoming an LEO. It is bringing back all the worst of it. So I filed a C&P for an increase on my ptsd Tbi and right shoulder and knee injury back in June and recently my panic attacks and anxiety and overall aggression ha gone through the roof. I have been on sick leave since september 10th (There was no way I was going to be able to work 9/11). My psychiatrist wrote me up to be admitted into the ptsd inpatient program in menlo park and I am scheduled to go in 19 October 2015 if I can get my drinking under control, and well this has me scared for a few reasons. None have to do with the treatment I am fully and ready to do whatever it takes to become better so I can have a happy life with my three daughters (ages 8-5-2) what concerns me is that I will be quiting work when i go into treatment. I cannot be an LEO it is killing me. Second i had a c&p exam in august for an increase in ptsd (the guy told me if I was not working I would not be 100%!!) when the hospital puts my claim in for the temporary increase for 100% will this pending claim slow down that process? I am worried because I am the sole provider for my family. Also how long does a temporary increase last? The VA wanted to give me TDIU back in 07 but I declined it. Again thank you to everyone on this forum it has been a wealth of knowledge. If this is not the correct location mods please move it to the right one. Stay Safe Russ

Edited by russ209

Sorry for what you are going through.

IMHO, If you filed a claim for increase and you are going to be an inpatient in one of VA mental health clinics, the clinic cannot file a claim for temporary 100% until you spent/spend something like 21 days in the clinic. I am not trying to be insensitive about your situation but I am trying to tell you that you a most likely unemployable due to your PTSD.  With many mental health disorders and because of good days and bad days you may be able to work but the stress of any type of employment may trigger a bad PTSD episode.  I know you want to work but it is best for you, your family, your employer, and anyone that comes in contact with you.  I hope I am explaining this the right way. I am not trying to put you down, with PTSD or any mental health condition you never know what could trigger an episode.  You can also file for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance).  VA may hold the temporary claim and process the claim for increase and grant you a higher 100% rating and say the temporary 100% claim is moot.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Advise YOU  to request TDIU because your Service Connected Disabilitys keeps you from working or doing the job you was trained to do, being a Police Office is a very hard and stressfull job.(obviously) &..if your in treatment for your PTSD   Ask one of your  psychiatrist/ counselors to write you a letter stating that your mental status keeps you from finding MGE(marginal gainful employment) and since you had to stop working file for SSDI.

try not to get the temporary status, unless you do improve  but it sounds like to me you won't.

jmo

.............Buck

PTSD is a serious enough issue to keep you from work.  Another real issue is drinking.  Combined, the two are capable of much worse than what you have disclosed here.  Mood altering drugs don't belong in your life right now.  Drinking makes the problem seem to go away, but when you wake up, its worse.  I fought that battle, and am not the worse for it, honestly.  (I've been sober for 22 1/2 years.)

The only drug you should take is the one that you have legal scripts for.  If you do this now, it gets much better for both you, and your family.  It can be done all by yourself, but most of the time its easier if you get help.  Either way, don't ignore it.

Edited by pwrslm

Imo, you may come up against the "SGI" and "Sedentary Work" issue. Just because you can't function as a LEO, I can see a Rater Denying your IU claim due to your Education and the possibility of Sedentary Employment earning in excess of $238.00 per week ($12,400 yrly).

With 3 young kids, I don't think you could presently make it just on the IU comp. When the kids get close to college age, would be a different story. TDIU T&P & possible SSDI (about $55K) would take the edge off. Then there is the Dependant Education Benefit (under 27) for  college to consider.

Have you considered the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program? Been awhile since I was involved in it but I think the Stipend per month was significant while retraining. A VA Vocational Rehab Councilor's opinion as to your current status of being Unemployable could be a very significant piece of Evidence for your claim.

Semper Fi

I agree to apply for the TDIU.

As stated above, the 100% comp will only be for the inhouse Program for 21 days (they pay for the whole month) and usually someone at the Hosp. will handle the temp 100% claim and it should go fairly fast.(hopefully within a few months they will send you the temp amount) I am not aware of anyone getting an extended stay for this program, beyond the 21 days.

And certainly apply for SSDI as others said. A SSDI award for SC conditions is excellent evidence for TDIU ,as well as a documnted statement from VA Voc Rehab that they find the program would be unfeasible for you.

If one is un-vocr-ehabable they are unemployable.

Good luck, It is a difficult situation with a young family but PTSD can get worse and worse.