VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depressive Disorder C&P

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I am currently rated 30% for Migraines, and 0% for Restless Leg Syndrome.  These are both SC'd from service in the Gulf.  I recently had a C&P for MDD.  Very nice Doctor.  Asked me a lot of questions from childhood on.  I was then asked to answer a 20 question questionnaire regarding how I feel.  Does anyone know what this is, and what it is used for?  Doctor also recommended I make an appt and be seen by VA Psych.  Not sure what GAF score was, but doctor stated I was in moderate to severe range.  Hope the outcome is good.  What was that 20 question questionnaire, and how do you think I stand with the claim?  

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my opinion here but when they start asking questions about your childhood there prying to get any information out of you that is detrimental to your claim...like if you were abused as a child or any tranma  events  ect,,ect,, they can come back and say your depression is not caused by your military service  therefore they deny your claim.

Its not good to lie  if you did have an abuse childhood its better that you be honest, but also state that you were normal when you went into the military and you were not depressed until after you got out of the military! your evidence should prove that.

to me there's no way in hell they can prove you were depressed at your introductory into service...by taking off clothes and bending over and cough twice.

IF YOU WENT THROUGH BASIC TRAINING AND PASSED ALL THE TEST WRITTEN AND PHYSICAL...the you were consider normal.

Thats all they did to us when I went in the military  it maybe different now IDK?

jmo

....................Buck

I am currently rated 30% for Migraines, and 0% for Restless Leg Syndrome.  These are both SC'd from service in the Gulf.  I recently had a C&P for MDD.  Very nice Doctor.  Asked me a lot of questions from childhood on.  I was then asked to answer a 20 question questionnaire regarding how I feel.  Does anyone know what this is, and what it is used for?  Doctor also recommended I make an appt and be seen by VA Psych.  Not sure what GAF score was, but doctor stated I was in moderate to severe range.  Hope the outcome is good.  What was that 20 question questionnaire, and how do you think I stand with the claim?  

Many psycholgical C&P examiners simply go down the list of symptoms on the DBQ, asking you what you do and do not experience. These include:

Depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks, sleep impairment, memory loss, suicidal ideation, impulse control, ritualistic behavior, etc.

Your responses to these questions are used to get a picture of your current level of disability. 

GAF scores are no longer in use in the field of psychology or at the VA. Raters decide your percentage based on severity and frequency of symptoms. 

Edited by bluevet

Explained to doc that my childhood was great.  Had friends, played sports, no depression.  Doc said I was moderate to severe.  Had a good feeling about how exam went, and was totally honest.  Doc had me answer a 20 question form, and added score up after, totaling about 50-55.  Each answer was from 0-3.  Basically asking about how I was feeling, and how often.  Confused about what this is??  

• HadIt.com Elder

bluevet had some pretty good infor

Here is a link to help you understand the DSM IV    Diagnostic Testing of PTSD & It;s Symptom's  

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/faqs/f/faq_dsm.htm

...........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Was it your DR  OR  License  CLINICAL SOCIAL WORKER? that gave you that test.? (I don't think it matters who) but usually its the LCSW...the test is  a list of symptoms you maybe having..I don't know what the test is called  just a physicist test for  Severity of Symptoms...But I'm not sure?

........Buck