VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depressive Disorder C&P

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I am currently rated 30% for Migraines, and 0% for Restless Leg Syndrome.  These are both SC'd from service in the Gulf.  I recently had a C&P for MDD.  Very nice Doctor.  Asked me a lot of questions from childhood on.  I was then asked to answer a 20 question questionnaire regarding how I feel.  Does anyone know what this is, and what it is used for?  Doctor also recommended I make an appt and be seen by VA Psych.  Not sure what GAF score was, but doctor stated I was in moderate to severe range.  Hope the outcome is good.  What was that 20 question questionnaire, and how do you think I stand with the claim?  

It was a VA Psych doc.  I got 30% for the migraines about 2 weeks ago, and the depression was deferred pending a c&p.  I got retro pay for the claim that was approved.  If this one is approved, do I also get retro pay for it?

DevilDog12,

Welcome to Hadit.

You should get retro for the MDD claim, all the way back to the first month after you filed the claim.  For example I filed a claim at the end of January, was awarded in April, retro was for February and March. Since the VA pays on the 1st of the month for the month just ending, and they don't pay for partial months...my first month of retro was for Feb.  Clear as mud, right? I hope this helps you a little bit.

May I ask, this claim for MH, was this something that you were diagnosed while in the Marines, or from the effects of your service? I have been getting help since July for MH issues, myself, and was wondering if you filed before or after getting diagnosed?

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Thanks for the clarification!  I was diagnosed right after I left service.  It was frowned upon to go to sick call, so I never went for it.  But have been on meds since month after leaving service.  Symptoms started while I was in.

Seen my C&P notes on MyHealtheVet this morning.  These are the numbers stated. 

BDI2 Score: 36 indicates severe depression. The overall range is 0 to 63 with severe depression above 29.

Veteran's report of symptoms is consistent with a DSM-5 diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder, recurrent with associated worry/anxiety.

Veteran's BDI-II score and presentation are also consistent with this diagnosis

Veteran completed a BDI-II at today's evaluation with a score of 36, which is in the severe range. Removing symptoms that are strongly related to sleep, his score would be 28 and still above the cut-off score suggestive of a depression diagnosis and in the moderate range.

a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one)

[X] Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily, with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation

Can someone give some insight on how you think I would be rated?

Before you get "rated", you have to be SC for depression.  A lot of Vets learn that the hard way. 

However, assuming you have the big 3, nexus, in service event or aggravation, and current diagnosis, then this looks like in the 10 to 50 percent range, with 30 percent being the most likely.  

Are you working?  This is the biggest symptom of "occupational impairment".  You C and P said "occassional", while the 70 and 100 percent categories are total occupational impairment.  Thus yours is less than 70 (50).    

You can go through your mental health records and "pair up" your symptoms to those in the schedule of mental health disorders.   However, those symptoms listed use terms like "with symptoms such as"...

This means you dont necessarily have to have those symptoms.  If you are working full time, its hard to justify over about 50%.  

The exam notes said "it is as likely as not" that the Veteran's Mental Health Problems began during Service.  I am working, but as stated in report, my work is affected by this.