VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Major Depressive Disorder C&P

Rate this question

DevilDog12

Question

I am currently rated 30% for Migraines, and 0% for Restless Leg Syndrome.  These are both SC'd from service in the Gulf.  I recently had a C&P for MDD.  Very nice Doctor.  Asked me a lot of questions from childhood on.  I was then asked to answer a 20 question questionnaire regarding how I feel.  Does anyone know what this is, and what it is used for?  Doctor also recommended I make an appt and be seen by VA Psych.  Not sure what GAF score was, but doctor stated I was in moderate to severe range.  Hope the outcome is good.  What was that 20 question questionnaire, and how do you think I stand with the claim?  

Asking about your childhood is one of the basic questions in a Psyc. Exam. Don't think more into it then is worth.

Him telling you to make an appointment with the VA Psychologist, that's a hint. His evaluation followed by a VA Psychologist diagnosis and treatment can help you both mental health wise and with your claim.

Apparently the rater was just waiting on the C&P to determine the claim.  It was deferred pending the C&P.  My other claim was decided about a week and a half from my first C&P, so hopefully this one is too.  I'm hoping to get good news.  According to my exam notes, it looks like I may fall into the 30% to 50% range, but only the rater knows.  As for the VA Psychologist appointment, I was told I had to wait until my health benefit app went through, and that they would call me to schedule first appointment.  This is all new to me.  Does the rater take into serious consideration the info from the C&P?  I also had a written letter from PCP, and my PCP records.

The Dr that evaluates you is not the rater. He only gives an assessment to what the VA asks him to consider. He will have any medical records that pertain to the disability but has no access to any other evaluations. The VA decides your % on your claim. The rater will have all evidence gathered to consider.

Metal health ratings look like this. But there are a lot of factors considered to get to these points: 

100% rating: Completely unable to function socially or at work with symptoms such as severely inappropriate behavior, ongoing hallucinations or delusions, consistent threat of harming self or others, unable to remember basic information such as names of close relatives, severe confusion and disorientation, and/or inability to care for self.

70% rating: Unable to function in most social and work areas with symptoms such as obsessive behaviors, illogical speech, depression and panic so persistent that it interferes with ability to function, suicidal thinking, inability to control impulses (including becoming violent without provocation), neglecting self-care such as hygiene, inability to handle stress, and/or inability to maintain relationships.

50% rating: Some impairment in ability to function socially and at work with lack of reliability and productivity, due to symptoms such as trouble understanding, memory loss (forgetting to do things), poor judgment, mood disturbances, trouble with work and social relationships, and/or having one or more panic attacks weekly.

30% rating: Some trouble functioning socially and at work, occasionally inefficient with work or unable to perform work tasks, but generally able to care of self and speak normally. Symptoms can include depression, anxiety, chronic difficulty sleeping, mild memory loss, suspiciousness, and panic attacks (can be less than once a week).

10% rating: Mild symptoms creating work and social impairment when under significant stress, or mild symptoms managed successfully with continuous medication.

0% rating: Diagnosis of mental illness but symptoms are so mild that they don’t require continuous medication, or, don’t interfere with social and work functioning.

Another thing is the "its most likely as not" statements actually not a good thing, but with your other evidence it may not matter.  Its as likely as not means 50/50. The VA wants over 50 so it can go either way. My sleep apnea was an "its most likely as not" evaluation but because I had none of the normal risk factors that would cause it other than my MS, they gave it to me.

So, I read on other forums that said that a "is as likely as not" statement on the C&P notes is 50/50, and the benefit of doubt normally goes to Veteran.  Can anyone confirm this?  This was also stated on my other claim and I was awarded 30%.