paulcolrain

DONT USE VSO

61 posts in this topic

VSO's come with their share of both good and bad experiences.

I worked my own claims because my VSO's typically just wanted to do as little as possible and shoo me out the door. One DAV rep at the Birmingham VAMC was exceptional though, but she retired. I also worked with a very helpful American Legion rep in another state. I have found it valuable to assemble my own claim with resources and help here at Hadit and then run it past a VSO for their "opinion". The typical response from the VSO was "wow".

I also leveraged the DAV VSO's at the Montgomery RO to get some information not available from the 1-800 number, but they tended to make me feel like I was wasting their time. They were only available Mon-Thurs and most of the time I had to leave a message, but they rarely called back within a week.

I switched to the Alabama State VA Dept of Veterans Affairs and the ones in Shelby County and at the Montgomery RO were excellent.

I used a VSO with good results. At least, I believe they were good. She was rabid, knowledgeable, and very detailed in her work. I've heard and read horror stories of both VSOs and other groups, so I think for those who know, you need to check around and do your research. Granted, many veterans may not know how, and I think the good Lord steered me into the right person (by using fellow veterans and coworkers).

1 person likes this

There are some good VSO's but by same token at the end of the day your claim is your responsibility. The VSO program was in place cause until recently Vets could not hire lawyers.

I had a DAV VSO tell me that I wouldn't get an increase, but I did. They are not doctors...

2 people like this

Thanks for the info, and so true bud. My local VSO was in the AF over 30 years, yet Never Deployed to any form of the Multiple Wars during his Tenure, yet he had enough nerve to question why so many War Vets are coming home with Disabilities!!!

Awesome sauce.

just tell him you dont know i guess its just a little different then driving to to commissary and heading to applebees for a free veterans day meal.

3 people like this

I had a DAV VSO tell me that I wouldn't get an increase, but I did. They are not doctors...

Ive found out the hard way that whenever a VSO tells me something 9/10 if i do the opposite i will be better off.

Next time a VSO tells you "oh you wont get this" tell him youll bet your POA on that.

1 person likes this