VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse of 100% + SMC-S vet, VocRehab?

Rate this question

mariorivera830

Question

My wife is contemplating going back to school. I know that she is not eligible for Chapter 35 since I am not P&T....yet. Is she able to use Voc Rehab at all since I am eligible? If not, are there any other VA programs that will allow her to go to school at all? She wants to pick up an Associates degree to start some sort of health and fitness profession. She has never had to work but since I cannot anymore, she is worried about finances since the SSA is dragging their feet. 

At 33 years old, she has finally found something that excites her in fitness and healthy eating. I want to be able to support her in any way that I can, as she did for me when I was working. My main concern is that she might lose out on the caregiver that she is receiving at tier 2.Thanks in advance guys, have a good one!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Im pretty sure VA voc rehab is for Vets only, not spouses unless she is a Vet, too.  In my state, the state Voc Rehab is at least as good as VA, tho, and you dont have to be a Veteran to use my states Voc Rehab.  

• HadIt.com Elder

I would really shoot for the P&T if I were you.  When did you get 100%?  If it has been less than a year you can appeal the denial of Chapter 35.   If it has been more than a year then request P&T as if it were a claim for an increase.  Get evidence from a doctor or vocational counselor to document that you are stable and unlikely to ever improve significantly as in being able to work.  I don't believe in waiting for years to get P&T.  I appealed my denial of Chapter 35 and it took the VA about a year to review my records and determine that there had been no improvement. I got P&T and it was well worth the effort.  P&T has many benefits to you and your family.  Better than getting a higher level of SMC in most cases.

I am still waiting for my appeal to go through. I was awarded my last rating in October 2014 and was denied for some other stuff related to stomach issues. I am unsure if P&T status is going to be lumped in, so is that something I can add on before the decision is made? Apparently I have until August of 2016 before they make their decision. Thanks John. 

And Bronco, that is what I thought, just wanted to be sure I exhaust every option for her. Thanks.